Give me a NETWORK solution plz.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ayon, Feb 22, 2009.

1. ayon macrumors newbie

ok here is the scenario.
    I am a totally newbie in mac world.
    i am a totally newbie in wireless internet world
    And now i am going to use both in combined form.

What question::

1.What is Airport? (hearing so much about it. IS is just a Fancy apple name for wireless router)

2.What is Wi-Fi?

3.there is a mini tower on my roof with direct line of sight with a base station of my ISP.From that mini tower of mine there is a cable connection into the LAN card of my PC. Is it WAN?

4.If its WAN then how does Airport relate with WAN. Or Airport has nothing to do with WAN but everything to do with Wi-fi?

5.What is the difference between a wireless router and a Airport. (and can i print or listen to music in my really big speaker)

6.If i am printing a 300 page e-book,listening to some metallica in my speaker and downloading a 200 MB file - how will a 'wireless' system do against a wire system?

7.what do i need to recieve signal from a Airport/Wireless router (lets say my other PC dont have wi-fi.)

THE BIG SCENARIO::

i want to give my pc to my sister in the other room.My PC dont have wi-fi.

i but i don't want her to come to my room everytime she needs to use the internet.

I want to control the internet access of the other PC so that internet addiction may not harm her studies.(just internet on/internet off..no other controling)

i also want to know that is it possible to limit the range of a airport. like i dont want a range more then 30 feet.

thank you in advance

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes it is.

Wi-Fi is just a fancy name for wireless networking.

I'm not sure about your terminology here. "Mini tower"? WAN is where your network connects to the internet.

AirPort has as much to do with WAN as any other router. You plug a modem into the WAN port and you can connect to the internet.

With the AirPort Express, you can do these things. Other routers will behave in the same way networking-wise, but can't play music and only the higher-end routers can print. However, you can share a printer and music from any computer that is connected to your network, no matter what router you use.

Both systems will behave the same: they won't give you any trouble. Now, Iron Maiden is another matter.

You will need a wireless card, or you can plug the PC into a LAN port on the router.

Yes, you can limit the range of AirPort routers, as well as most others.

3. ayon thread starter macrumors newbie