Give me a reason to move to MacBook...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thegreatest21, Jun 27, 2007.

1. thegreatest21 macrumors newbie

I'm really impressed by OS X so much so that I am getting it in October (Because of Leopard + Waiting to see if Apple do any updates to the MacBook range). However, October is when I begin my 2nd Year in Uni studying Games Production and Programming and I am currently a little worried about the leap from Windows UI to OS X UI and if I will adapt in time for the Uni year. I was looking at getting either the Mid-Range White version of the MacBook or the BlackBook, haven't quite decided. But I would greatly appreciate it if people could give me reason to get a MacBook over an odinary laptop...such as a Dell.

Thanks,

thegreatest21

:confused:

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you are doing games production the MacBook would be unsuitable as the GMA950 GPU has no hardware T&L and is fairly slow compared to even low-end dedicated graphics cards. You are better off with a Dell and a decent GPU for the same money.

3. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Well... Dell has horrendous customer service and lately their laptops have been sucking as far as longevity goes (or so say my poor poor macless friends)

But onto another point.

If you can afford it (look in the refurb store if you want cheaper... infact by october some of the newer sr macbookpros will probably be showing up in the refurb store... so that would be good for you) get a midrange macbook pro. For a little more money you will get a dedicated graphics card and that should help with handling your games stuff... you'll also get more screen realstate for your work (which is a must in a graphics based field of study) a bit more power, harddrive ... and IMO a prettier computer :) hehe.

A macbook wouldn't be the best choice for you because of your field, but a macbook pro would suit your needs fine... AND you could use bootcamp (which will come with leopard) to boot up in windows when you need a windows based program or while you are still getting used to the mac os and need a quick way to work on somethin you are more familiar with (however you should adapt to osx quickly and wonder how you ever did without it.)

4. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

Pick up a refurbished core 2 duo macbook pro which is around the price as a new blackbook and will have the video card. If you end up disliking OS X then install boot camp and Windows and you're golden.

5. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

I would also suggest a mbp. You can use your education discount, or maybe look into the adc discount. I think a baseline mbp would serve you fine if money's tight, you can always upgrade the ram and hd later.

6. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Yeah if the money is tight then I suggest going baseline MBP, if not and you need more VRAM then go w/ the second highest. (I don't know if the difference between 128MB to 256MB is a big difference [there are studies] but you can't upgrade your VCard/VRAM so might as well go w/ what you need or are going to need.)

Btw, don't buy a Dell laptop, THEY ARE HELL TO WORK WITH!

7. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Yea the mbp is more suited to what your doing.

8. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

9. mavherzog macrumors 6502

Isn't that reason enough?

10. timestoby macrumors 6502

well,ill be getn my first macbook in oct.and yes the os is better.i just like the way it looks and some things are done.ive been watchn youtube you see