Give me a reason to renew Dot Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sharyn, May 6, 2008.

1. Sharyn macrumors newbie

My dot mac account will be expiring soon and I'm not sure if I feel it warrants the $100 price tag. Can anyone give me a reason why I should renew it?

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

3. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Are you using it? Do you find it useful? If you do, thats really a good enough reason for anyone.

If you think its worth $100, go for it. If you don't forget about it

4. MacAodh macrumors regular

It all depends on what you use it for, do you use all the fetures? if so it's worth that, but most people don't use them and often there's no point paying for what's often found for free.

p.s. did anything come out of that not-mac thing does anyone know?

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

if you have doubt after using it for so long, I would suggest save your bucks.

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

It's been said before. It's up to you.

Why should we give you a reason when your the only one who's going to either benifit or not benifit.

Personally mines up and I'm renewing.

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

My renewal is due next month and I'll be going ahead with it. Why? I make very heavy use of iDisk (for files that I need to be accessible between several machines in different locations) and the sync features are extremely handy. With several gbs worth of data on iDisk, I get my money's worth.

Frankly, though, if you have to ask the question, then it suggests that you don't have a compelling reason to renew - in which case, you should save your dough...

8. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

.Mac is cool, but not worth $100 IMO. I always use the trial for about a week, publishing web pages and such, but I never really use the email because I am so established with Gmail.

9. Olvenskol macrumors member

It's fairly expensive for the services it provides, so if you aren't making pretty significant use of them, I would let it expire.

For myself, I use it to host my iWeb site, provide my off-site backups (via iDisk) and sync the various Macs floating around here. I find it warrants the cost, just for the convenience of it all, though I'm sure I could find alternate web hosting and backup for cheaper.

10. darfel macrumors member

For the simple fact I can get my email without going through a bunch of portals such as sbcglobal and the advertisements. It's worth the two dollars a week for me.

11. avigalante macrumors 6502

avigalante

Not sure if this helps with your problem, but you can buy .Mac for much less off Amazon for $69.99.

I believe you can just use to the code that comes in the box as a renewal code.

Even at a 30% discount, does it warrant a purchase? In my view, no.

12. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Always check eBay before buying a .Mac renewal, as you can find good deals there too. Last year I got a family pack for $60.

13. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

If you need to ask then you don't need it.

Mine will be renewed next week and it's worth every penny to me.

14. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

I had the same quandary a couple of months ago, chose to wave goodbye after three years and yes I do miss .mac.

I do like my money tho- I bought some shiny things with it. Now I use gmail instead, and maybe will forever.

The end.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Here's an excellent reason :

If you do it I won't see this topic in spy.macrumors.com anymore.:p

If you want it get it. If you don't. Don't. Simple.;)

16. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I got it for $58 at a time when MobileMe upgrade's on head! I think you'll agree that you might get it for even cheaper.

But even after all this, if after so many years you still are in a fix.... Dont get it!

17. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

If you can wait a little bit and play around with MobileMe then do wait.
    My renewal is due in August . I never really used .Mac . I am on Google Apps and I am amzed by Dropbox.

I want o see if the iDisk will be as smooth as Dropbox and if there is a not-so-complex way to set up my personal email in the SMTP configurations.

18. danny_w macrumors 601

I haven't tried Dropbox yet (although I have an invite, just haven't done it yet), but iDisk IMO is practically worthless because of its speed (or serious lack thereof). The three primary reasons that I wanted .Mac were 1) email 2) syncing (esp. bookmarks), and 3) iDisk. I have seen far too many email outages in the 1 year I have had it, syncing creates duplicates and conflicts far too often, and iDisk in my experience is useless. I can only hope that MobileMe will be better, but I won't have very long to try it since my subscription ends in August; if it hasn't convinced me by then I'll say goodbye to .Mac for good.

19. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Yeh it's kind of the same here. But you should definitely check out DropBox. You will fall in love instantly, believe me! This is by far the best web service that I have ever tried and the integration in the Finder is awesome! Besides, the upload speed is amazing and since it's based on Amazon S3, the premium subscriptions should be fairly cheap