Give me back Ignore

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tbone7467, Jan 15, 2008.

1. tbone7467 macrumors regular

I noticed that when i get SMS's now it no longer gives me the option to ignore, The option is now close. when you click close it goes away and the indicator above SMS icon disappears with it. I love the things we got but I dislike this new feature. i get a lot of SMS and usually when im busy doing other things and cant talk. I hit ignore and use the indicator to remind me that someone was talking. I can see this being an issue, for me at least. I also in a devilish way liked the little bit of power the ignore button gives you. hahaha.

2. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I agree with you, it was good to be able to not immediately view a message but still have a reminder of it on the home screen.

3. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

Mine does not work that way. I just got a msg (which reminded me of this thread)

I hit close and went back to the home screen from web browsing and it had a 1 on it.

4. tbone7467 thread starter macrumors regular

I have noticed that it is hit an miss. sometimes i hit close i get the number other times i dont. most often then not i do not

5. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Seems like there is quite a few bugs in SMS this time round. Hopefully they'll release a fix to this soon.

It's a shame really considering how long they've had this update ready that they have messed up SMS app.

I'll give this a go the next time I get an SMS and see what happens.

6. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

Personally I think that they've got it the total wrong way round! If something says ignore, it should ignore it and take away the Unread SMS Number.. But now it just says close and actually does take away the number! I think that with future updates we should expect a more customisable phone with settings for notifications etc.

7. boeingair macrumors member

The distinction between getting a "1" or what-have-you badge on the SMS icon on the home screen when you hit the "Close" button is if the entire message could be displayed in the pop-up SMS window when it arrives. If the entire message is displayed, it appears the logic is that you have read it when you hit "Close", and so it is marked as read, and if the whole message cannot be displayed, then it remains unread and the red badge appears on the SMS icon on the home screen.

While I can understand where they were going with this, I think it should be an option, because I find it easier to forget to respond to people this way.

8. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

@BoeingAir - Thanks for the info about the SMS notifications!

I'd have to agree it's far too easy to forgot about replying to SMS's.

9. ncsmith4 macrumors 6502

I submitted this to Apple as a bug on the apple.com/feedback page.

At first I thought it was just a minor annoyance, but now its becoming a more serious problem. Maybe I just have shoddy memory, but if someone texts me when Im in the middle of reading a story online, or writing an email, before I would just hit "Ignore" and have the little reminder up there. Now, I forget to reply to people and have to interrupt whatever Im doing to go answer the text right away.

I realllllllllllly hope this gets fixed.