Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
I use exactly 2 smart playlists. I think the idea is absolutely brilliant, but am having a hard time coming up with things to do with them.

Here's what I do have:

"Backup".
This, quite simply is a playlist of everything added to my library since the date of my last backup, excluding items where the genre is "Christmas" (they get their own discs and get deleted each January and brought back in again each November).

Basically, when this playlist gets to about 4 GB (or sooner if I'm playing around with hardware) I burn a data disc from this playlist, change the date to that day and it starts over again. I know iTunes has a backup built-in now, but I made this playlist before that existed so I'll just keep on going this way.

"Penn Radio"
I have all episodes of the old Penn Jillette Radio Show converted to AACs, and I have a smart playlist that will keep 10 episodes available with a playcount less than "1". It uses live updating so each time I sync my iPod I get refreshed with randomly selected episodes that I haven't heard yet (since they aired that is). It's like my own personal re-run generator. Cool.

Even cooler is that once I've listened to an episode on the iPod, next time I go back to that playlist the episodes that no longer meet my criteria (play count <1) are gone so I don't get re-runs of my re-runs on my iPod by accident.

So, what smart playlists do you all have?

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
Smart playlist, like smart mail folders are one of the best things about Tiger :)

In fact, I only have smart playlists in iTunes, not even a single normal one!

I have:

Alternative Rock
Alternative Metal
Recently Added
Recently Played
Chillout
Drum & Bass
Punk
Rock
Favorites
Metal

These are the ones I can remember, I even have Smart Playlists on my iPod :D

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
One of my favorites is called "4+ Star Rookies". It's not my idea -- it was on a blog somewhere -- but I love it.

It takes 25 of my least frequently played songs that are 4 stars or higher.

Great way to hear some of your favorites that you haven't played in awhile.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have some not already listed above...

1) Tracks loaded into the library in the last week or
"new to me" music.

2) Classical music smart folders for each of the various periods. I use composer names. Some "Bartok" and Davork" go in to "modern". (I'm a big fan of 20th and 21th century clasical music)

3) As above but for Jazz. Who played it means more then when recorded. So I'll but 50's and 60's bebop into on smart album

4) I have some big collections for a few dozen artists each of those gets a smart album,.
5) I've made CDs of just one song that is covered many times. Example is "Summer Time" by Gerswin. Must have 30 covers on this from Luis Armstrong to Janice Joplin, even a Willie Nelson verson

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
I have some playlists that are certain ratings that I haven't heard in x amount of weeks, so I'll set a smart playlist of 4 and 5 star songs that were last played 1, 2, 4, or 6 weeks ago, for example.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I like this one :)

1f9afe.tiff

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Some of my favourites:

'iConcert'

iConcert.png

'Forgotten Favourites'

Forgotten favourites.png

'Neglected' - thanks to epochblue

Neglected.png

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
I have some playlists that are certain ratings that I haven't heard in x amount of weeks, so I'll set a smart playlist of 4 and 5 star songs that were last played 1, 2, 4, or 6 weeks ago, for example.

I have something like that as well. I call it Hits-Unplayed. It's everything with 4 or 5 stars that I haven't played in 3+ months.

zebostoneleigh

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Podcasts

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

I love Podcasts, and I subscribe to tons of them. I use Smart Playlists to manage which ones I've listened to (because there's little point to hearing them a second time, since they're mostly news and talks and lessons that I only care to hear once).

Here's a basic Smart Playlist for my needs:

Genre = PodCast
Last Played = Is Not Before [today]

Sorted by release date.

Ta da... Now I have a playlist of all the podcasts that I have not listened to yet (sorted in the order they were made).

Until there is a "last played date" that date isn't "before" today. Sure, it's not "after" today either, but that's not the point. The thing is, once you've listen to a podcast it will be removed from teh smart playlist.

zebostoneleigh

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Podcasts

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

I love Podcasts, and I subscribe to tons of them. I use Smart Playlists to manage which ones I've listened to (because there's little point to hearing them a second time, since they're mostly news and talks and lessons that I only care to hear once).

Here's a basic Smart Playlist for my needs:

Genre = PodCast
Last Played = Is Not Before [today]

Sorted by release date.

Ta da... Now I have a playlist of all the podcasts that I have not listened to yet (sorted in the order they were made).

Until there is a "last played date" that date isn't "before" today. Sure, it's not "after" today either, but that's not the point. The thing is, once you've listen to a podcast it will be removed from teh smart playlist.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I made one for neglected music as well, except mine simply has the parameter of "played less than 3 times".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.