Give me your opinion and help me out.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Skylitfly, May 26, 2015.

1. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

So, I'm really interested in getting this new MacBook. I'm just not sure if I should get the first gen or wait for the second gen.

Currently my mostly used devices are my iPhone and iPad. I take them basicly anywhere I go. I get a lot of stuff done on my iPad. While 16Gb is enough for my iPhone usage I've found out that I need more space for my iPad stuff so I'm opting to upgrade to 64Gb iPad Air 2.

However, sometimes I hit the limits of the iPad and realize I need my Mac to get the job finished. 15" rMBP which I currently have is a wonderful device for desktop usage but it's a burden to carry around especially since I've used to carry only my iPad Air in my bag which basically weights nothing. I've ended up to an conclusion that I need something lighter yet capable to get my work done anywhere I may go.

Should I get the 64Gb iPad Air 2 now and somehow try to manage without having acces to OS X on the road till rMB gen 2 is released.

Or just give up the iPad completely in favor of rMB and get my job done anytime anywhere.

I do love the iPad and would love to have one but too often I hit the barrier and realize how much more capable OS X is.

Help me out! :D

2. junkw, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2015

junkw macrumors regular

sell the rMBP and iPad and iPhone.
    buy rMB and iPhone 6+

3. mac-jam macrumors member

I would potentially say that have a 6 plus as a mobile/ipad style combo on the go and 15 rMBP for serious work.

4. troubleonline macrumors 65816

troubleonline

I think this is prob best suggestion!

Lots of people saying that 6+ and rMB is a really good combo though I'll prob stick with the smaller phone and iPad Air as the iPad is from and paid for by work. The rMB I have on order will prob stay mostly at home except when travelling for leisure.

5. Skylitfly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats a fair point and worth considering.

Except I would need few pairs of new pants to be able to carry 6+ in my pocket :D

Also, the apps I mostly use on my iPad are iPad only apps. So iPhone 6+ wouldn't get the job done.

6. MyopicPaideia, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2015

MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Exactly how I see it as well, and I tried the 6+ for 6 months to give it a real go. you're obviously joking about the pants, but there is a lot of truth to that. I have pants in a lot of different fits and styles ranging from outright baggy to slim fit in various materials from denim to linen. The 6+ was never comfortable in any of them when having to do anything requiring bending down or sitting...basically anything not standing still or walking.

iPad mini + 4.7" iPhone + rMB FTW :)

7. Skylitfly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah. I've been thinking about that combo for a while. I think it's pretty optimal in every way if you appreciate portability.

Only thing is that I may prefer full sized iPad over mini but I think it's worth considering anyways.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Given your responses, OP, I would second this recommendation.

9. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

I would not recommend you sell your 15 inch rMBP for a 12 inch rMB. I carry my iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air 2, and 15" rMBP around everywhere in a laptop bag with a seperate secure pouch for my iPad and iPhone. The 15" is 4.49 pounds and the 12 inch is 2.03. It is an incredible feat of engineering and design and it is certainly no slouch, but to sell a more powerful capable machine for a 2.46 pound weight reduction in your bag just isn't even close to being worth it in my book. It is approximately 1/3 as powerful as your current laptop.