give opinions on 3G vs. iPod

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scole19, Nov 2, 2008.

1. scole19 macrumors newbie

here's my problem, I've had an original 8GB iPhone for about a year that I am completely happy with; but I have about 10GB's of music and nowhere to put it. Here is my question, I was wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade to a 16GB 3G, or just get a new iPod Classic and keep my current phone?

Please voice your opinions I'm torn, thanks. :) :apple:

2. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I'd get the 3G. It's really nice surfing at 1.5mb when not at home. Also, you can use Simplify to stream your music library from your home computer if you want.

Plus, it's easy to forget an iPod at home. Most people don't forget their phones too often, so you'll always have your music with you. :)

3. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Well, for me, I would prefer the 16GB phone as it is an "all in one" package. I thought about doing the same this as you're suggesting (having an iPod and phone) but then I would have to lug around two things instead of one.

Also, do you really HAVE to have ALL 10GB of music available at all times? You could be a little more selective in what you have on your phone and save yourself some $$$.

4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Ah, good point too!

5. scole19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Very good points, and thanks for the fast replies.
    I may just end up going with the 3G, plus the white one looks amazing. But at the same time, my music collection will grow, so I have some thinking to do. :)

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'd get the classic. Unless you have really good 3G coverage around you and you're constantly browsing on your phone, the upgrade won't make much of a difference. The build quality of the 3G iPhone is pretty dismal compared to the original as well. When you have a huge music library calling for a high-capacity device to store it, you really won't see a world of difference between eight and sixteen gigabytes; both will be far too small to hold even a decent amount of your collection. If you're gonna add videos and expand your music library, you'll feel tight for space in the iPhone pretty soon.