Give up Iphone and get Ipad???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mariot, Sep 28, 2011.

1. mariot macrumors member

Hello,
    I am wondering if there is anyone out there that gave up their iphone and use their Ipad as a main device. I have the Iphone 4 and an original Ipad 16g wifi. I have a chance to sell them both and get an Ipad2 with 3g and use a basic phone for texting and calls.

Has anyone had a similar experience ? Do you enjoy using the rather than both devices together?

Thanks

Mario

2. Rubo Draco macrumors regular

this might not be the response you are looking for, but... I own an iPad 2 and a basic cellphone (Ericsson W610... lame, right?) but I' happy that I didn't go for the iPhone!.

I've never owned an iPhone, so I know it's not the same case but I'm just sharing.

3. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I don't think I could do it.

Just insanely simple things on the iPhone would bug the hell out of me w/ a normal phone. Typing in all my contacts like its 1999? Bah !

I like if I completely restore my phone as new (which you can't generally do in the basic handset world), I just type in my Mobile Me info and everything is back easy peasy.

Plus, while my iPad is not with me all day, my iPhone is the perfect substitute.

4. Rubo Draco macrumors regular

you mean typing SMS messages?
    well, iMessage is coming to iPad with iOS5.

I agree with the restoring thing, it's not as easy as we do it with our iOS devices.

and I do carry my iPad all day long, so... I think there's a device for everyone

5. mariot thread starter macrumors member

Well If I do sell my Iphone i would either get a 3gs or a cheap android

6. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

It just so happened that I sold my 3GS around the time the iPad 1 was getting ready to come out. After buying and using my iPad, I never felt the real need to get the 4. I went to boost. It worked out well for me. It satisfied my iOS craving, but now I'm missing the iPhone, so at some point, I'm going to by the 4S/5. The whole iCloud system is exciting and I know it will be awesome with both the phone and the iPad

7. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I'm also sporting the 3GS and Android

Two phones for the price of my iphone 4.

But I would never sell the iPad.

8. henry2 macrumors regular

henry2

I did the same thing got rid of the socalled smart phone and high price plan and went to a dumb cell phone to basically make phone call's and the ipad does everything i need to do

9. Bojan macrumors member

Bojan

Take away my laptop, rip me of my desktop, smash my iPad, but please don't do anything to my smartphone!

I don't have an iPhone, but my sgs is my favorite device and will get an upgrade soon to iPhone5, to match my mac and ipad.

Powered by AlphaEfficiency.com on GT i9000

10. Clockw0rk macrumors newbie

Having an iPad with a cheep celular phone is sure a valid approach.

I'm still waiting for iPhoneislam dev team to support phone-it-iPad on iPad 2.

11. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I meant actually typing all my contact info into the address book of a basic phone.

12. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

On closer consideration, I still couldn't do it. My iPhone is also my primary iPod - and there is no way I could do my commute w/o my podcasts and everything else I listen to. And I really would have no interest in bringing around a dedicated iPod again.

13. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

While I do enjoy my iPad and use it heavily... I would never give up my iPhone for an updated iPad. There really isn't much of a difference between iPad 1 and 2 so I would think that giving up iPhone would be a bad decision.

I may even use my iPad more than my iPhone but iPhone is still much more valuable for my day to day work load.

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Maybe it's because I got the iphone first, but I couldn't imagine going without it. The ipad isn't portable. It won't fit into my purse or front pocket. My phone does. Also, I mainly use my ipad at home. The iphone is used when I'm at work, train station, etc.

15. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Yep, this. I love my iPad, but if I had to give up one or the other, the iPhone would be the one I'd keep. I can always go back to using my MBP in place of the iPad, but a dumbphone in place of my iPhone? No way. The phone is literally never more than an arm's reach away.

16. turbotoes macrumors regular

I'd rather give up my iPad than my iPhone , and that's not going to happen anytime soon!!!!!!
    My iPhone is …… my phone, my iPod, my shopping list (for home and for work), my emergency access to the internet and email (too damn expensive in france to be anything other than emergency) my mobile entertainment library, (books and games for those unavoidable downtimes at work) my photo library, (for friends and family who want to know how the cats and orchids are doing)

The iPad is a work tool for keeping track of what job where, by when and what costs what where for quotes (self employed builders we are) also to have an instant record of client emails for changes on job spec etc. It is also my main ebook reader. I also use it for seeing whats what in the world whilst drinking my tea in bed in the morning.
    The iPad is important to me and is a great tool, but my MBA could easily do all that it does, where as it can't replace my phone :D

Tara

17. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Even though I love both, I could never give up my iPhone. I would give up my iPad before I even considered giving up my phone. But you can certainly get a "dumb" phone and use your iPad. Just for me personally, I could never do that. The iPhone has spoiled me.

18. 4zuresky macrumors member

Recently

I actually just sold my white iPhone 4 to get an iPad 2 3G (still saving up) because I didn't want to pay the extra money for messaging when iOS 5 is coming out. I can just use a cheap phone for voice calls and messaging on the iPad with 3G! Save myself 20$ cheaper each month! I am a poor college student after all. And I use my ipad 1st gen to take notes during class and it's REALLY helpful :)

19. ndrosubiyanto macrumors member