Give up Unlimited to Gain Personal Hot Spot?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by powerbook911, Mar 9, 2011.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Many seem to consider those of us locked into the Unlimited Data Plan for iPhone on an extremely special plan that we should never leave.

However, Personal Hotspot is only $45, and we pay $30 for unlimited. $15 to add Personal Hotspot would be AMAZING.

Of course, we would then be limited to 4GB.

What do you guys think? Are you still sticking with your unlimited, or is personal hot spot tempting you away?

2. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Jailbreak it.
    Download Tetherme on Cydia for what 2 dollars max, I can't remember.
    Keep unlimited, and save 15 a month.
    You win.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Yeah, just Jailbreak. $0 a month for the same thing.

5. mantan macrumors 68000

Hmmm.

I've got mixed feelings on this one. On one hand, I rarely break 2.5 gigs and so extra $15 isn't that big of a deal.

On the other hand, when I consider I might have to do the same for my wife's phone - I'm suddenly looking at $30 a month for a little used service.

For the first time I'm actually considering jailbreaking. I've always dismissed it, fearing a sluggish phone, restore/warranty issues and not seeing the need. (this is the only jailbroken app that really appeals to me.)

(Plus names like p0wnage and greenpois0n don't inspire confidence, LOL)

6. thomasfxlt macrumors 6502

I feel the same as you about jailbreaking...

Why should I have to drop my unlimited iPhone data plan to get tethering or hotspot? If ATT is going to charge us for a "specific" amount of bandwidth (2 or 4gb plans), they better get ready for a repeat of what they've experienced with calling plans....ROLLOVER DATA! How about "family data plans"? If I can share my calling minutes with my family, why can't I share my data? Hotspot should be FREE for all users in my household under my family plan up to the limits of my data package. JMO...

They'll be pressured on this. If I've paid them for 4gb of data, I should be able to use it. If I choose to share it with my kids, that should be my privilege. If I have a DSL line in my house, I don't pay extra to hookup all my computers, phones, routers. It's MY bandwidth. I paid them for it.

Single device licenses will ultimately fail with the FCC and capped data and user plans will be a failed business model for cellular carriers.

7. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Is the 4GB of data for both tethering and data? Like a combo or just split up between the 2? Because if I could have 4GB of data I might switch...I don't ever go over a gig a month at all.

8. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

technically its 2 gb for the data plan and 2 gb for the tethering plan but when you have both on your account you can use the data in whatever proportion you want.

9. mo25 macrumors member

The hotspot charge is just a robbery. They are charging you TWICE for the bandwidth you pay for. Once for your phone and once for your computer. If you are allowed 2 gigs a month, then those 2 gigs are YOURS and you should be able to use em however you choose. I seriosuly can't believe people haven't sent letters to ATT and verizon for this.

My advice would be to jailbreak that and DL mywifi. Single payment and then you get to keep your unlimited plan (if your on ATT), don't have to sign up for the hotspot feature and you get to save money.

People that are afraid of jailbreaking for the fear of their phones being sluggish.... where the ***** do get your retarded information from?

10. mo25 macrumors member

You'll also be paying $45 a month.

Completly ridiculous for phone internet. That's how much most peoples comcast/fios home internet costs.

11. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I will never willingly give up my unlimited data plan. JB, get MyWi and you're set :) I have unlimited data AND my own personal hot spot.

12. mantan macrumors 68000

The family data sharing plan would be fantastic. We have two kids with iPod touches, a (soon to be bought) iPad and a laptop. Our actual tethering data use would be pretty low - but there can be any many different combination of parents/kids and devices in play.

If AT&T offered a family tethering plan for multiple devices I'd be all over it. But buying two full tethering plans isn't worth the flexibility.

13. cforand1293 macrumors regular

I agree with you guys.. ATT is just crazy, for charging us with this crap, I have unlimtied and have never thought about jailbreaking, but I am going to try it now.. Was going to buy a ipad2 wifi+3g, but now going to buy a macbook air 11, and use my phone as a hotspot... Just cant seem to get ATT to work with me... Jailbreak here I come...

14. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

It takes more technical prowess to completely free an Apple device from it's over-the-top packing materials than it does to jail break it. Besides that it's a much more flexible solution once you have it. No need to install hideous themes with animated icons and everything else that can end up draining battery. Just set it free and use a 1-3 apps that get you what you really want/need that you can't get from the stock walled garden.

15. xplnusa macrumors regular

Teathering is the only reason I've really even thought of JBing my iPhone. Sadly I'm just to chicken to do it. I'm afraid I'll brick it...

16. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

when you have both? it was explained to me that if I wanted personal hotspot I would have to relinquish my unlimited plan for a 4GB plan and then I would have 2GB for tethering or hotspot and 2 GB's for regular data on the phone... the data is NOT cumalitive i.e. if you hotspot over 2GB's in a month you'll be charged overage fees...is this correct?

17. eternlgladiator, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

You are correct that you have to give up your unlimited data. I think technically AT&T is trying to scare you by saying you have 2GB for phone data and 2GB for tethering data but they can't actually differentiate it. If they could do so then they could bust all the people who have JB'd their phone and use mywi for tethering. You pay for 4GB and you can use it any way you want.

Edit: The attached pictures should answer your questions about tethering and data usage.

Attached Files: