Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
So work gave me my work machine in my sig. I'm planning to find a good guide to redo the thermal paste.

The body is still in great shape, and it has a new 7200 RPM HDD in it. Any other ideas? Already has 4GB of RAM.

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
No ideas?

I was thinking maybe putting Lion on it and making it an in-house server.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I had one up until a few weeks ago (24th). It was a GREAT computer. It was turned 98% of its' life. I never turn my computers off. It had several logicboards replaced and then Apple gave me a new one. Still had AC on it.

You could use it or sell it. Depends if you need it or not.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
If you need a guide to apply thermal paste maybe you shouldn't be attempting it? Just do a google search for thermal paste. It works the same on all processors. ifixit.com may have a tear down to get you into the cpu.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
If you need a guide to apply thermal paste maybe you shouldn't be attempting it? Just do a google search for thermal paste. It works the same on all processors. ifixit.com may have a tear down to get you into the cpu.

I know for a fact that ifixit has a guide as I had upgraded the HDD from the stock one using the same guide. Although I didn't attempt to dive deeper than necessary.

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009

I know HOW to apply thermal paste. I build my own desktops. I need a guide on how to reassemble the macbook. The inside of this thing is the messiest internals I have ever used. I've had 1998 Dell laptops have easier internal setups.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
You can go to ifixit.com and they have numerous guides on how to dissemble your MacBook Pro. But what MacDawg asked, why do you feel the thermal paste needs replacing? We know that the thermal paste is applied way too much but unless you're experiencing increased temperatures, there should be no real reason to apply other than satisfying your need to. Also, because it's a work computer, wouldn't the company you work for handle any of repairs or problems for your computer?

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
You can go to ifixit.com and they have numerous guides on how to dissemble your MacBook Pro. But what MacDawg asked, why do you feel the thermal paste needs replacing? We know that the thermal paste is applied way too much but unless you're experiencing increased temperatures, there should be no real reason to apply other than satisfying your need to. Also, because it's a work computer, wouldn't the company you work for handle any of repairs or problems for your computer?

Well it's at least 3yrs old and most high quality TP lasts only 5yrs. and that mixed with there being to much I figured it would be a great precautionary measure.

I work in the IT dept, so I get a crack at any PC's or Mac's we are about to send to the recyclers before we do so. They gave me a new unibody so I chose to keep the old one. It was this or an X200 that needed a new LCD.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Good choice! :)

it's still plenty fast for basically anything that isn't gaming, video editing, photo editing.. but that applies only to more than casual.

I could give this thing to my mom and she'd think it was just fine.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Well it's at least 3yrs old and most high quality TP lasts only 5yrs. and that mixed with there being to much I figured it would be a great precautionary measure.

I work in the IT dept, so I get a crack at any PC's or Mac's we are about to send to the recyclers before we do so. They gave me a new unibody so I chose to keep the old one. It was this or an X200 that needed a new LCD.

Makes sense. Well iFixit.com has a guide, that should help you taking apart the MacBook Pro to reapply the thermal paste.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.