given a MacBook 2,1 rebirth in an CD-ROM Drive Case

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Brainbug, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Brainbug macrumors newbie

Brainbug

Hello there,

My old MacBook got over an half litre Coffee all overf it, so i took it apart, dryed it, cleaned it, an a few days after i put it together on the table with en external monitor and it worked. I decidet to put it into an old CD-Rom Drive Case and use it as internet and storrage center.

The parts that dosen't worked are the Display, the optical drive, and the Top Case with Keyboard and Trackpad, all other parts work very well.

But there is one big problem i didn't find a solution for yet. And thats the reason why i posted this thread.

The tempreature levels from the CPU core are at normal range, with nothing running between 55 and 60 degrees celsius, while working they'll go up to 70 to 75 degrees. The problem is that the cooler runs all the time with 6200 RPM and thats not normal. the Case it self has holes where to outgoing airstream is located. so thats not the problem, also i renewed the cooling paste for CPU and GPU Unit.

So please give me some theories about what you think, or information if there is any configuration utility for the hardware itself.... anything will help.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No idea what you're talking in terms of the "CD-ROM case", but your cooling issue sounds like the thermal sensor for the heatsink is damaged.

3. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

He's saying he basically built an entirely different enclosure for the macbook

Anyways, you can try downloading SMC fan control, and setting the base fan RPM lower. I don't really suggest that though, if the fans are ripped then they probably *should* be.

4. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Warning!: I know nothing about MacBooks, but here's my theory for you to investigate:

Maybe the CPU temperature sensor has been disconnected/damaged, and the software is designed to be "fail-safe" and so assumes the worst if it can't read the sensor: a very HOT CPU, and so runs the fans at maximum speed.
    -----
    Edit: Snap! (with the other posters' ideas!)

5. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

That might be something to look into. Unfortunately I am not educated enough yet to know where such a device would be.

Also, post pics. This sounds awesome :D!

6. Brainbug thread starter macrumors newbie

Brainbug

I have iStat Slayer installed an all is working well, all connectors an tempreature sensors are functioning very well... i get on all tool a response. even Tech Tool Pro 4 dose not find any errors.

7. coast1ja macrumors 6502

sounds to me like the fan speed controller on the motherboard... or even the software that regulates it is malfunctioning. Since you're into modding, I would just suggest a different heatsink and fan if that one is too loud.

8. Brainbug thread starter macrumors newbie

Brainbug

Pics

Here a few pics.

the holes for the cooling are not drilled into the case at this moment...

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      839.3 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      1,023.7 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      998.3 KB
      Views:
  9. Brainbug thread starter macrumors newbie

Brainbug

What heatsink and cooler would you recomend?