Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mspaquette

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Hi, i've been having problems with my phone starting with dropping and cracking the screen a few months ago. The phone looked bad, but worked just fine, except I started having issues charging (could have damaged the charge dock when it dropped). I thought it was my battery because I would plug it in to charge and it would not charge, just gave the outlet icon indicating it was plugged in, but the battery showed dead. An Apple Genius told me it was a bug in my OS that was reading the battery wrong and was actually charged 100% but sending a 10% charge signal.

Reinstalled the OS and all seamed ok for a while with the problem showing up on occasion. Fast forward three months later and this time i could not get it to charge at all! Trust me I treid every combination of buttons out there, the charge on my battery died and my phone was dead.

I read battery life is approximately 18 months so i ordered the replacement screen and battery. Of course it would be too much to ask that these items roll in together and desperate to get my phone back and running, i replaced the battery. All was well with my phone (even with the old cracked screen) but still could not charge. I received the replacement glass and digitizer, replaced it, but could not test it with a dead phone. I ordered a new charge dock kit (super easy to replace!). So glad i ordered the kit, thanks to YouTube video recommendation. Anyway, i replaced the phone dock, and my phone is now charging... YEAH!!!!!!

But now my screen is not turning on!! My phone is working, (i think) because my alarms go off, I hear the charger when I plug it in, but when I call my phone all calls are going straight to vm??? Of course i can't do anything about any of the above since my screen does not work i can only snooze the alarms (really annoying)

What could this be? i've opened my phone several times and disconnected and reconnected all the components to make sure I didn't miss something. i viewed several YouTube videos before and after to make sure I did everything correctly.

i'm stumped? I can't afford a new phone just yet! HELP!

ps: sorry for the LOOOONG post...

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
It sounds like you've spent the price of a new phone on parts already. At least the $199 for an out-of-warranty replacement. But with all your "repairing" I doubt you'd be eligible.

These phones are designed to last for 2-3 years, then replaced/upgraded.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

When u put the screen back on you must have just loosened the connector slightly. The 3G is a lot more temprimental than the 3GS when getting the connectors back in place.

mspaquette

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Thank you all for your replies...you have all crushed me with news that my phone is trash... not exactly those words but just as well.

Yes, i do qualify for an upgrade via att but financially i can't make the jump to pay $300 for a discounted iphone 4G 16 gig at this time. Parts on my phone so far have run me about $30. And, yes i could have gotten the same phone with my upgrade for .01 cent + tax and shipping. But I'd rather use my upgrade towards the iphone 4.

My phone is roughly 2 yrs old...i just need it to work for another month! For as much cost they should last a little longer than that!

Well thank you all! I will check the connector cable again just in case. I will check the connector cable again.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Yes, i do qualify for an upgrade via att but financially i can't make the jump to pay $300 for a discounted iphone 4G 16 gig at this time.

Not sure which phone you are referring to but...

The iPhone 3GS is $0.99 (ATT only), iPhone 4 8 Gig is $99 and the iPhone 4S 16 gig is $199. Neither is $300. Anyway, sucks you can't afford it, but I agree, it sounds like your current phone has been beat to hell. Buy a cheap go phone just so you can at least continue making calls/texts, drop your data plan, and save up the cash for an upgrade. That's my best advice.

EDIT: I realize I made the assumption that you are in the states, in terms of pricing on contract. If you are not, apologies. I think the rest of my advice makes sense still though.

----------

My phone is roughly 2 yrs old...i just need it to work for another month! For as much cost they should last a little longer than that!

I agree. But you yourself admitted you dropped it and could tell things physically were broken. This is akin to wrecking a two year old car and being upset that it didn't last longer than two years. It probably would have if the pesky tree hadn't gotten in the way, know what I mean? :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.