Given up on W7 and Bootcamp 3.1 on iMac 27"

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SmugMac, Jan 20, 2010.

1. SmugMac macrumors regular

But I have a genuine copy of Windows XP SP3, I only need Windows for games.

Just wondering if there are any other iMac 27" users with the 4850 Mobility chip from ATI and who are using Windows XP successfully?

Is there the same problem of rubbish ATI drivers in Boot Camp 3.0 / 3.1? Is there another source to get 4850 Mobility drivers?

Cheers ^_^

Found an OmegaDrivers.net source for Mobility / ATI drivers. Has anyone tried these with their iMac 27"? or iMac with 4850 Mobility?

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

What problems are you having, specifically? I know my iMac isn't identical to yours, but my 24" with the Radeon 4850 is working fine with Windows 7 x64 and Boot Camp 3.0. I recommend you try the MobilityModder. I've used it to modify stock desktop-Radeon drivers to work with the mobility chipset found in my iMac. Perhaps it will work for you as well.

3. SmugMac thread starter macrumors regular

The problem I'm seeing only happens if I dare attempt to install Boot Camp 3.0, the reason for installing Boot Camp 3.0 is so I can update to Boot Camp 3.1 - however after attempting to install Boot Camp 3.0 the screen goes black and that's where my annoyance begins.

And at least once from my three reinstalls of Windows 7, I got a BSOD at that point!

Supposedly the Windows 7 drivers from Apple (the ones you're meant to put on your flash drive when installing Windows 7) are newer than the ones in Boot Camp 3.1 which hash up the video driver.

There. I just worked myself into an infinite loop and now I've lost track of the point of this post... Gah!

Any help muchly appreciated. :eek:

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You can copy the Boot Camp folder off the DVD to a local drive and delete subfolders from within. Delete the "ATI" folder and the installer will simply skip over that part, hopefully resolving your black screen issue. I was also getting a BSOD from the Boot Camp 3.0 ATI driver, and that's what I did to work around it.

5. SmugMac thread starter macrumors regular

You Sir.... Are a genius! :eek:

Many, many thanks... Will try this tonight on my iMac.

:)

6. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Good workaround huh!

7. SmugMac thread starter macrumors regular

The only thing is... How do I now stop Boot Camp 3.1 installing it's ATI 4850 Mobility drivers - which are reportedly knackered... :confused:

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

See if you can extract the Boot Camp 3.1 package and remove the ATI driver from it, as before. Perhaps try using WinRAR to extract its contents. I'll probably be playing with it this weekend (no guarantees) so if that doesn't work, wait a little longer and I'll try to cook something up.

9. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I still get the black screen during install even with Apples workaround. I do get one reboot further did I did previous without it.

I have a 3.06GHz 27" iMac with 8GB RAM.

10. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I took a look at the new Boot Camp package today. It's a self-extracting WinRAR archive that extracts a Windows installer package (.msp) when run, along with a couple other files. It's not a quick and easy task to modify it to remove the ATI drivers, as you would need to customize the installer using Orca. If you can get through the installation fine then I would try to install modified ATI drivers before rebooting. Otherwise, I would stick with Boot Camp 3.0 for now. For what it's worth, Boot Camp 3.1 installed without any problems on my 24" iMac, and I updated the display driver to Catalyst 9.12 post-install.

11. Og Oggilby macrumors regular

Is there a way to extract the 3.1 64bit keyboard drivers or download them from somewhere? I did a clean install of Windows 7 (64bit version) on my 2007 Mac Pro and it is running fine - except for the aluminum USB keyboards eject and media keys.

12. lelx470 macrumors newbie

boot camp 3.0 installation files?

How Can I Update My Bc 2.2 To Bc 3.0?
    Do I Need The Full Version Of Sl Discs Or The Upgrade Discs Will Work?

Anyone Who Is Willing To Send Me The Files Needed To Update To Bc 3.0???