Givey sim questions:

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by allsmilze, Apr 14, 2011.

1. allsmilze macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    So i decided to follow the advice from my fellow peers on mac rumors and went out and bought a gevey sim card to use my iphone 4 on t-mobile. Everything seems to be working great. I can make and receive calls, send and receive text messages but!!!, and there is always a "but", I can't send and receive picture messages, I can't use facetime, and worse of all, I don't have 3g. I am on the edge network. I was told that If I had a jailbroken device I can purchase Mi-time, which works with fact-time. But in terms of the sending and receiving mms messages and using the 3g network am I screwed? please help!
    thanks guys.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The iPhone 4 does not have the proper radio to use T-Mobile's 3G network. So in that regard you are out of luck. Facetime is only usable on wifi, not a cellular network. Also, it requires another iPhone 4 or a Mac computer with Facetime installed.

3. allsmilze thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx for the info.. I am on wifi and I tried to connect with someone else who has an iphone with facetime and nothing. I don't even get the option to call with factime (the little icon) my friend tried to call me and it says that I am not available to facetime.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sounds like you don't have FaceTime turned on. Go to Settings>Phone and turn on FaceTime.

5. SirStrumalot, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

Do you have to go through the whole process again after the phone is rebooted?

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

7. allsmilze thread starter macrumors newbie

ok I confirmed what you said it was turned off but when i turned it on it says waiting for activation and it doesn't do anything from there. In there area above where you have the option to turn of or on facetime is the "my number" area. when I try to save my number there it says "phone number could not be saved" does that have anything to do with it??

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have no idea, sorry.

9. allsmilze thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx man, you been a great help... Can anyone else give me some insight as to what is going on here!! Do I have to be jailbroken to use facetime on t-mobile? or to get 3g? I am using firmware 03.10.01 i phone 4 version 4.2.1 unlocked with a gevey sim.

10. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.2; en-hk; SonyEricssonLT15i Build/3.0.A.2.181) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

You CANT get 3G. It is physically impossible. The first reply clearly stated this already.

11. allsmilze thread starter macrumors newbie

I know but I was asking if I can do it jailbroken..

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No, it is a hardware limitation, not a software one that jailbreaking can fix.