Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Well, I tried. One iPad Air 2022 and Logi Combo keyboard later and… I’m out.

I tried to use it as my personal/personal work computer.

It’s just not working. For me the reasons are:

1. The screen is just too small. Even with Stage Manager, I don’t believe that anything less than a 13in screen is feasible for tasks other than media consumption or web browsing—on any computing device (Phones excepted). Using the iPad Air’s 10.9in screen reminds me of using 14in CRT screens back in the day. You’re up against a constant frustration. Some websites don’t even render fully, as they do on a desktop, for example, so website features are truncated or missing.
  2. Hand ache. Well done to Logitech for the Combo keyboard and making it feasible at such a small size. But I’m getting severe hand and wrist pain from using the trackpad and to a lesser extent keyboard. Ditto when using the iPad’s touch screen with the keyboard attached. It’s all just too small! Simple as that.
  3. Cut down apps. Learning that you can’t even adjust text styles in Microsoft Word on the iPad was a blow. I used Excel today and it feels like an actual retrograde step when it comes to usability. It actually feels like we’re going backwards, rather than making progress here. And there‘s only one actual image editor that offers tools, and that isn’t yet another basic adjust-brightness/saturation-and-apply-filter bollocks.
In most ways I could get by with the iPad for personal and light work tasks. It was a bit like running Linux on the desktop, in that you often have to find ways around limitations, or go around the houses to do something basic. But it could be done.

I’m beyond the return period for Amazon so I’ll be selling both the iPad and Combo keyboard. I’ll keep using my old 2015 MacBook Pro until perhaps the end of the year.

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Thank you for posting the underlying reasons for your decision. Posts like this offer firsthand experiences that can help others make a decision.

I hear ya on the frustration with MS Office for iPad OS. Functionally, the apps are no more advanced than Google Docs. Sure, they can reasonably render the documents on the iPad but when it comes to anything other than minor editing, forget about it.

But what I have found is that by using the web version of Office on my iPad (9th gen base model) I am able to do far more than the iPad version.

Outdoordude01

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Thank you for posting the underlying reasons for your decision. Posts like this offer firsthand experiences that can help others make a decision.

I hear ya on the frustration with MS Office for iPad OS. Functionally, the apps are no more advanced than Google Docs. Sure, they can reasonably render the documents on the iPad but when it comes to anything other than minor editing, forget about it.

But what I have found is that by using the web version of Office on my iPad (9th gen base model) I am able to do far more than the iPad version.
Yep, web version of Excel on the iPad is light-years more feature rich than the stand alone app.

Reactions: sracer

sajberKurajber

Suspended
Jun 9, 2022

1. The screen is just too small. Even with Stage Manager, I don’t believe that anything less than a 13in screen is feasible for tasks other than media consumption or web browsing—on any computing device (Phones excepted). Using the iPad Air’s 10.9in screen reminds me of using 14in CRT screens back in the day. You’re up against a constant frustration. Some websites don’t even render fully, as they do on a desktop, for example, so website features are truncated or missing.
  2. Hand ache. Well done to Logitech for the Combo keyboard and making it feasible at such a small size. But I’m getting severe hand and wrist pain from using the trackpad and to a lesser extent keyboard. Ditto when using the iPad’s touch screen with the keyboard attached. It’s all just too small! Simple as that.
  3. Cut down apps. Learning that you can’t even adjust text styles in Microsoft Word on the iPad was a blow. I used Excel today and it feels like an actual retrograde step when it comes to usability. It actually feels like we’re going backwards, rather than making progress here. And there‘s only one actual image editor that offers tools, and that isn’t yet another basic adjust-brightness/saturation-and-apply-filter bollocks.
In most ways I could get by with the iPad for personal and light work tasks. It was a bit like running Linux on the desktop, in that you often have to find ways around limitations, or go around the houses to do something basic. But it could be done.

I’m beyond the return period for Amazon so I’ll be selling both the iPad and Combo keyboard. I’ll keep using my old 2015 MacBook Pro until perhaps the end of the year.
why dont you buy an external screen— there are fine screens for as low as 100 bucks … And new ipadOS16 is MAGIC with an external display

sajberKurajber

Suspended
Jun 9, 2022

Also have you ever heard of MOUSE and KEYBOARD ? Like.. any mouse and any keyboard? I dont get why you limit yourself

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
Hey, you tried it and know for sure, that's the best way to do it. With regards to your third point about the apps: iPadOS getting 'desktop class' Safari was a huge step in mitigating the issue of feature-thin apps, but of course didn't completely solve the issue.

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
I agree, it's not a feasible full replacement. It can be a useful supplement, but even as someone whose job is mainly writing and communications stuff, I didn't get on with using an iPad as my main device at all.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

If I recall correctly, I think the same Office shortcomings that exist on iPadOS are also present in the Android version, so the hobbling is a general mobile device implementation issue (or philosophy on Microsoft's part).

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
If I recall correctly, I think the same Office shortcomings that exist on iPadOS are also present in the Android version, so the hobbling is a general mobile device implementation issue (or philosophy on Microsoft's part).
You are correct. It's just as bad on Android. Since there is no other productivity suite for Android or iOS that has a more detailed feature set, it is probably a limitation of app store requirements or development toolkits.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Gotta remember that AppleInc’s game plan is for customers to buy BOTH a Mac laptop and an iPad. They’ve never wanted the iPad to replace a MacBook - and it never will entirely.

Reactions: macfacts

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
The only advantage is that the Android version can run RTF files (a file type my clients use a lot), but other than that it's just as limited...

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
Great post. I have wanted an iPad to work with my workflow for years. But it just doesn’t. A Mac does EVERYTHING that I need and an iPad does very little, and way more difficult-ly.

I cannot wait for the future of iPad, it’s getting better by the year. Would love to have an iPad and Mac hybrid, which is exactly what apple says will never happen 😂

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Gotta remember that AppleInc’s game plan is for customers to buy BOTH a Mac laptop and an iPad. They’ve never wanted the iPad to replace a MacBook - and it never will entirely.
I think it’s more Microsoft’s game plan to ensure that Office apps are only full featured on Windows.

Reactions: KeithBN

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
I haven’t been able to find a good use for an iPad since the first one. With an iPhone and a MacBook it just doesn’t fit. It’s slightly better than a phone, and less capable than a laptop. The software is limited and clunky most of the time. I thought it would be a good eReader at one point, but sucks compared to eink, it just burns my eyes out after 10 minutes. Other than a few specific use cases that need to be a tablet…I don’t see how it fits into anything. I had a coworker that used on as a laptop replacement and once he needed to do real work that wasn’t email…it was painful. You could say it needs to run MacOS …but then what’s the point? Just give us a convertible MacBook. It just seems like a product in search of a problem to solve.

Valappi

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2021
This mirrors my experience as well, primarily number 3.
I gave it a shot the first time around when they "This is your next computer" commercials where running but our corporate templates didn't work due to missing fonts, or I would be forced to adjust them after I was done on the iPad on a computer and then send them out.

I really wanted it to work but it didn't fit in to my workflow either, lots of moving information from one document to another, cut and paste and so on but even with a external monitor it was to cumbersome then.
Centerstage might mitigate some of that ache now but I'm not going to give it another shot for a foreseeable future.

For me, the iPad is primarily a device on which I consume information and media, not a creation device.
Apple badly want's to combat this and while it is doable for some, it isn't a universal solution that fits all.

But bringing this forward usually (sadly) bring out the militant fan-boys on these forums.

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
And that’s the reason the 11” iPad Pro is useless as a Pro iPad IMO
Yes I think the size issue is very serious. I experience actual pain using the smaller screen, keyboard and trackpad. It’s great for kids. Maybe for smaller people, too (E.g. five foot tall women). But for an average sized man, it’s agony.

If the rumours about bigger iPads are true, it might be that—in a few years’ time—the smaller iPads are banished to history outside of media consumption (e.g. mini and the regular non-Air/non-Pro iPad).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.