Giving away iphone 3g....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scotty33, Jun 21, 2010.

1. scotty33 macrumors newbie

I'm giving my 3g iphone to my mom since she has always wanted one. My mom does not have a computer or itunes. She already has a contract with AT&T so I explained to her that she would need a data plan to accompany the iphone. Is there a way that she could activate it for use without using itunes?

2. coelacanth macrumors 6502

It's very nice of you helping your mom.

I guess your mom isn't a techy type. Maybe she has some songs that she wants to listen regularly. You can put them to her 3G from your computer/itunes.

You don't really need iTunes on regular basis. Maybe you can perform backup/add new songs and videos once in a while.

If you can't do the initial setup for her, she can bring the phone to Apple Store (hope she's got one nearby). As far as I can remember, swapping SIM cards and putting the iPhone under new person's account wouldn't require iTunes.

If she's got Wifi at home I think she can easily get by with $15 data plan.

3. scotty33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems like my mom just wants to play with apps and what not. I don't think she'll even use it as ipod.

4. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

5. coelacanth macrumors 6502

Then load the iPhone with games and apps and what not before handing it to her. You can also setup an Apple ID / creditcard for her so she can download new apps if she ever wants some before you can do that for her.

Yes the data plan is required even if you don't use data at all, but I think she's definitely the right customer who can benefit from AT&T's new tiered data plans.