Giving away Mac Mini how to save all my files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xxRONNIExx, Apr 11, 2011.

1. xxRONNIExx macrumors regular

xxRONNIExx

I asked this question awhile back and Im still somewhat confused. Im giving my mac mini away. I plan to buy a new iMac once they come out. Whats the best way for me to save all my informations from the Mac mini and have it transferred to and external HD and saved until my new imac I gets it?
    I know I can use carbon copy or superduper but is it just a matter of transferring files from my Mac mini HD to an external HD then onto my new Imac? or do I have to do some kind of formatting the external HD.
    My main concern is not losing all of my iTunes music...

2. simsaladimbamba

To use an external HDD in conjunction with CCC or SD, you have to format the external HDD in "Mac OS Extended" via Disk Utility.

3. xxRONNIExx thread starter macrumors regular

xxRONNIExx

Okay so once my HD is formatted correctly is it just a matter of transferring everything from my external to my new iMac? Apps, movies, music (iTunes), should be on my new iMac?

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Make a clone of your Mini on the external drive, using Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper, and then, when you get your iMac, you can use Migration Assistant to transfer all your account settings and files from the external drive to the new Mac.

5. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp