Giving away my iPhone 4, how can I do this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nikos, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I upgraded one of the lines on my family plan and the phone was activated in store. How can I have my old phone/sim reactivated?

I'm giving this phone away on my YouTube channel (techthrow). Do I ship it without a SIM card or is there a way to deactivate it?

Thanks!

2. 01mggt macrumors 6502

I'm sending my old 3gs to my mom. I went to settings>general>reset>reset all media and settings ( Something like that) and it completely reset it. Then I just removed my old sim. It's now at the itunes activation screen when turned on.

3. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

Thanks. The old phone is a regular phone. Ended up getting a sim for it. I guess the winner of the iPhone 4 will have to get a micro sim.

4. noobinator macrumors 601

I applaud your efforts in giving away an iPhone!

Get ready for the begging private messages though :(

5. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

6. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Ship it without a micro-SIM card, or pick up an unprogrammed micro-SIM card from your local AT&T store. They could charge $15 for the card, but sometimes they can override that - I picked up a spare for free last night after I couldn't get my iPhone 4 activated out of the box.

7. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

Thanks guys! I didn't really explain over the phone, but this woman said it will only work with this number.

I'm assuming that's not true since there are a ton of people selling them on eBay etc.

So the winner should have no problem with their own sim? I'm just hoping the IMEI isn't tied to my account or anything.

Thanks again!

8. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

You call your service provider on another phone, pull your old sim chip from your 3gs and write down the number on it. Then tell your cell provider the number and they will re asigne it to your account. Then the micro sim in the iphone4 will be disconected and you leave it in when you give it away so the new owner can do the same steps to get it hooked up.