Giving away my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by haseebiqbal, Nov 9, 2010.

1. haseebiqbal macrumors newbie

Hi
    I am planning to give my iPhone 3G to my brother. So is there any formal process in iTune (as this the only tool to manage the iPhone) so that he will be able to use this iPhone with full ownership and I can retain the purchased apps,media and contacts. So that when I'll buy my next iPhone (may 4) I can use all these purchased stuffs.

Thanks in advance
    Haseeb

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Sync your iPhone 3G and it should automatically save as a back up. When you plug your new iPhone 4 into iTunes, you'll the ability to load from a backup or set up as 'new'. As for the purchased apps, they are tied to your iTunes account. You'll probably just have to re-download them again, free of charge (if they didn't sync to your library).

3. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

Sounds like all you need to do is a restore through Itunes that wiped the phone of all messages, call data, apps and then tell itunes not to sync with your apps, music, videos etc...

the restore returns the factory back to a clean slate, handy as well if you are having problems with an app.