giving away my OLD iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sr5878, Jul 8, 2008.

1. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

hey there,

i want to give my 1st gen to my sister when i upgrade to iphone 3g. she doesn't want data, but she texts a LOT. will she:

1: be able to remove the data plan? (i know most say yes, but at&t has told me no)

2: if she is on a familytalk plan with the family messaging unlimited texting plan, will that unlimited texting plan cover the data-less iphone?

(3): if either of these (both are absolutely necessary) are not possible, will unlocking the iphone (not jailbreaking) allow us to do that?

thanks!

2. D3lta macrumors 6502a

The data plan is required. Not sure about the second question.

3. Dayron14 macrumors member

the data plan isn't required. trust me my dad took it off from my iphone when he found out my about my report card....... he put it back though!

what he did is that he called AT&T and he asked them remove it.

I dont know about the second question.

4. showtime macrumors 6502

if you unlock the phone you can use it just like any other phone. That means your unlimited texting plan would cover the iphone too.

The only thing to watch out for is the data charges. If you don't have a data plan AT&T charges you per kb sent and the iphone sends data automatically so you would either have to download an app that would let you turn off edge (bosspref) or call AT&T and have them block all data for that line.

5. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

SHE will have to sign up with a data plan coz the NEW IPHONE TARIFFS NEED IT... the old iPhone 1.0 tariffs wont be available.

6. gazzer82 macrumors regular

Just use onw of the iPhone unlocking tools, she can then use the phone on whatever network/plan she likes. Just pop the Sim Card in and away you go!!

7. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

how did he do that? every rep i talk to says its impossible to disable data.

8. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

****... **** this is not looking good.

i CANNOT remove data. the only way would be to unlock and jailbreak... i really dont want to have to do that.

9. Dayron14 macrumors member

I don't know what he told them. But I'll ask him and then I'll send you a private message! But even before that I think some people were able to take it off by going to their account online. I'm not sure though. I'll google it! :).

10. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Are there two threads on this? I swear I posted in here...

11. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

I believe there used to be an option on AT&T's website to remove the data plan from the iPhone in the services section or whatever. Something tells me they may have changed this though.

12. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

I believe there used to be an option on AT&T's website to remove the data plan from the iPhone in the services section or whatever. Something tells me they may have changed this though.

13. View macrumors regular

If it's unlocked, you can just pop in any (gsm) simcard and it will work.
    In that case, you don't need a data plan (but be sure to turn off GPRS/EDGE service with the provider). Then you can just add the unlimited txt like any other phones! Don't tell them you got the iPhone though :)