Giving folders additional information

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sephseph, Oct 3, 2011.

1. sephseph macrumors newbie

sephseph

I'm trying to clean my macbook up at the moment, organise all of my photo, music and video folders.
    My question...
    Is there any way to give folders a bit more information than their title? Like, through tags, metadata, additional info?
    At the moment, a photo folder would be called "me and Andrew whitechapel 3rd Sept 2011"
    Is there a tidier way of adding information to a folder, so it shows up in searches and is easy to recognise when browsing through the photos?

I understand this is possible through spotlight comments, but this seems....cumbersome and unmaclike somehow

Thanks

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yep

Right click the folder you want to name, choose "Get Info" from there you can change the name to anything you want (As long as it's read and write)

3. simsaladimbamba

To change the name of a file or folder, using the GET INFO method is a bit cumbersome.
    To rename a file or folder, selecting it in a Finder window and pressing the ENTER key is enough.

To the OP: Why not use a photo organising software like iPhoto or even LightRoom?

4. gyorpb macrumors member

You can organise your photo's in iPhoto, Aperture on any other photo organising application. Likewise for music and video.

.tsooJ

5. sephseph thread starter macrumors newbie

sephseph

Sorry, not sure whether I explained properly.

This is mainly for photos on an external HD, which is accessed by about three computers.

One of them is a PC, so the photo management app isn't really suitable

6. gyorpb macrumors member

Ah.

Well, then you're pretty much stuck with the rigid, hierarchical model imposed by the file system (FAT?). Unless you can find some cross-platform management software to your liking. Can't help you there.

.tsooJ

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's Cause I'm Old!

I seem to miss the highlight if I use a mouse! due to shaky hands!