Giving footage to editor and need format advice.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by JasonisDeadsy, Jun 9, 2009.

1. JasonisDeadsy macrumors newbie

I am currently directing a documentary about a local man in my town that does fitness shows on the community access channel. My plan is to incorporate clips from his back catalogue of shows into the final edit, alongside present day footage shot on a Panasonic DVX-100A on tape. My question is this…

During the early years of his show, he recorded on VHS tapes. Lately, he has switched over to recording right on to DVD. I have been copying his small section of DVDs for review, and it was also my plan to give the copies to the editor, which he would then rip into editable files.

When I start going through his VHS tapes, should I have them copied to DVD as well? Should I go to another format? What do you think an editor would want to use in terms of how the footage is delivered? Is having his VHS collection copied to DVD the way to go?

Thanks for any and all help. Happy to provide more information if that helps answer this question.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Give the editor the VHS tapes. Copying them to DVD first is just going to degrade the image quality. How have you been copying the DVDs you use for review?

Lethal

3. JasonisDeadsy thread starter macrumors newbie

Lethal,

thanks for your reply. I have been giving his DVDs (the masters) to a local facility that does DVD duplication. Is this the wrong thing to do?

I don't think giving the editor the originals is possible, mainly because the subject is somewhat apprehensive about letting the only copy of his show leave his hands. Also, my editor will most likely be in NYC, while myself, the subject and the master tapes are all in Pennsylvania.

Will converting VHS to DVD really degrade quality?

Thanks again for your help.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

No, that's fine.

Do you think the guy would be okay giving the tapes to the dupe house so they could make copies to send to the editor (you'd want to ask the editor what tape format he prefers)?

Converting VHS to DVD will degrade the quality and it will get further degraded when you editor has to convert the DVD into whatever format he's editing it.

Lethal

5. JasonisDeadsy thread starter macrumors newbie

Lethal,

He doesn't mind that I copy his masters. The arrangement we have is that he gives me several masters at a time (5 or so) and I have them copied, and then return them and repeat. I have done the DVDs so far, and am about to move onto his tape collection. He is ok with me taking his original master tapes to be duped five at a time...but won't that degrade quality?

A tech-savy friend of mine mentioned this device to me:

http://www.amazon.com/Canopus-770-10150-105-ADVC110-A-Converter/dp/B000GJVE8M/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1

He states that it can hook up right to your computer and copy VHS tapes right onto the hard drive in an editable format. Any experience with this machine? It seems like it would work....

Thanks

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you have the dupe house transfer the VHS tapes onto whatever tape (or data) format your editor wants that will degrade the quality less than going VHS->DVD->editable format.

A device like that, as well as most any DV camera, will allow you to capture analog sources into the DV codec, but if you have the budget for it I'd still let the dupe house do it 'cause they should have better gear which will enable them to get you a higher quality copy for the footage. This is especially true if the VHS tapes aren't the best of shape and have things like tracking errors that low-end boxes like that Canopus aren't equipped to deal with.

What format is your editor working in and what software is he using?

Lethal

7. JasonisDeadsy thread starter macrumors newbie

I live in a small town and I think the dupe house really only does VHS->DVD, and DVD->DVD. What other format should I ask them if they go to?

If I gave the VHS tapes to the dupe house, what should I ask them to do with them (i.e. what other format would be the same or better than this device). The reason this device sounds appealing to me is for several reasons. First, my friend is loaning me this machine to try out, so I don't have to buy one. Second, it will save me a lot of money in terms of having the VHS tapes duped. Lastly, because I have to watch all of these tapes anyway, this device will kill two birds with one stone (I can watch them all, and as I do, they are being made into DV). If I gave them to the dupe house, I could be paying to have footage copied that I will not use really, though I could watch them all beforehand I suppose...

I currently do not have an editor, which is why I started this thread. I want know if someone here were giving VHS tapes to an editor, but could not use the masters, what format should they have them made into first in order to deliver them. Or, on the other hand, if you were and editor and someone was going to give you footage that originated on VHS, how would you want them to deliver the footage.

I imagine he will be using Final Cut Pro, as I know that software somewhat and would like to work with someone who uses it, as opposed to avid.

Thanks, appreciate your assistance.

8. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

If by dupe house you mean a MotoPhoto or Ritz Camera, then just do it yourself. If you need a pro lab in NYC I can recommend thse guys:

http://www.magnosound.com/

We send our 16mm to these guys and they do nice work (website is hokey for sure..but they've been around a long, long time)

Good luck!

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Since you live in a small area the dupe house probably isn't working w/high grade equipment so they might not be able to do a better job of it than you can. My advice would be to copy the VHS tapes onto MiniDV tapes (if you do it yourself make sure to use the s-video connection and not the composite connection and never record using LP mode). MiniDV is inexpensive, easy to ship, and pretty much universally accepted as long as you don't need to cross NTSC/PAL boundaries.

Lethal

10. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I agree. MiniDV will give you the best results, and be the easiest for an editor to deal with, since it's very much the standard for digital video.