Giving Ipad1 to someone in Nepal

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by 10smom, Mar 2, 2012.

1. 10smom macrumors regular

10smom

Hello,

Getting ready for Ipad 3. I want to give my ipad 1 to a young guy I met in Nepal who needs something like this to make his studies and life easier.

I know to do a "restore" But also I want to set up so it is jailbroken and unlocked if that is what needs to be done.

I know how to jailbreak but not one that will not have access to my computer after jailbreak.

I know nothing about unlocking so hoping for some guidance.

This is a 3g and wifi ipad1

Can someone walk me through the steps to have this setup for this friend? He should have access to cell service.

Thanks so much for all your help

2. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Hey, I am originally from Nepal! :D

Anyway, as far as I know, they do not have data services for tablets/iPads. I would just restore it as new and leave it at that.

3. 10smom thread starter macrumors regular

10smom

Thanks for the info. So will be of use for someone in Nepal? will they be able to access apps etc??

4. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

They should still be able to use it without any problem. I am just not sure about 3G data for tablets.

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

iPads come unlocked, so no jail breaking necessary.

6. Dav1 macrumors 6502

Nice gesture, will it be meaningful? Will/does he have access to a PC? Without access to a windows/Mac computer to run iTunes on, it is in my opinion just a matter of time till it becomes unusable. At some point in time he will need to restore it. Giving him a jailbroken device without a computer to restore it with, I believe will simply result in disappointment!

Remember the thrill of when you first got your iPad? When you first jailbrok it? How long did it last before you had to restore it? iOS Five is a big step in the right direction, but an iPad is still not a stand alone device, and from time to time needs to be restored. The more one pushes it the more likely one is to need to restore it.