Giving iPhone to Wife - does this count as a "new upgrade"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by achtungfemme, Aug 23, 2010.

1. achtungfemme macrumors member

Hello,

Thinnking of giving my wife my old iPhone. Her non-iphone broke recently, so she took her sim card out and I added it to my old iphone 2G:

(a) When she connects it to the computer with her sim card inserted, it is of course instructing her to upgrade her plan to the iphone data plan, and is telling her that her corporate discount will not work any more.

(b) She is worried that this will count against her as an "upgrade" according to At&t. She is eligible for an upgrade on Sept. 15th, but wants to use the old iphone until then

My question is: (1) Does this count against her as an upgrade? Or will she still be upgrade eligible on Sept. 15th? She only switched sim cards, so I am assuming not, but want to be sure.

Thanks!

(

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Best bet would be to take care of this in person at an AT&T store. Doing this may count as an upgrade since, once the phone is activated in iTunes, your wife will have to sign up for a 2 year contract + the data plan. Doing it in person will give you some flexibility so I'm sure if you explain the situation to the AT&T sales rep, I'm sure they'll be able to work something out for you.

3. RoscoeUA macrumors member

RoscoeUA

You should go into the AT&T store. This shouldn't count toward an upgrade and there should be no extension on the contract. That should only occur if you buy a new device from AT&T or Apple.

4. KFujiwara macrumors member

KFujiwara

Unless things have changed in the past year and a half, it will probably count as an upgrade. My dad had a Blackberry on his line and used an iPhone originally from a different line to switch. It automatically removed his upgrade eligibility. It didn't extend the contract that his original line was on though.

5. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

That shouldn't be true, I switch between a few phones and it never affects my eligibility. The upgrade eligibility is just so you can only get one subsidized phone per two years, it shouldn't matter if you didn't buy the phone from them