Giving iPod to Apple?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by makavelidon04, Sep 14, 2008.

1. makavelidon04 macrumors member

Okay..Here is my dilemma..

I have APP for my iPod Touch, and well...The 1G is stopped in production now..And my friend that works at Apple told me that they usually just give you a new iPod instead of really sending it in for a change of battery..Well, since they would usually just give you a new iPod...

Would they give you a G2 since the G1 will be out of stock in a matter of a week or two? Thats my main question... Thanks

(P.S)I'm going to say that my iPod's battery lasts for 4-5 hours music time, and it reboots every 15min-1hr randomly ...

2. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Uh, no, they will not give you a new 2nd gen iPod. They will give you a refurbed iPod Touch 1st gen, but that's it. I have seen people bring in 1st gen iPhone's and get a replacement 1st gen iPhone.

You can see what happens, but I am going to go with no. Also, if what you are saying is true (about the battery life and randomly turning off) then take it in, but if you are just doing it to try and get a new one when nothing is wrong with your current one, then don't do it.

3. makavelidon04 thread starter macrumors member

My battery is bad actually..Lasts me 1-2 hours of games, and around 5-6 hours of music now.. But after lets say 2 months they won't have any more refurbed 1g's anymore will they?

4. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

When you say "I'm going to say that..." do you mean it actually doesn't do that? Might they actually check this out? Why don't you ask you friend that works at Apple?

PS I plan on doing the same thing with the Best Buy replacement plan in a couple weeks too, but with the nano. But mine really is having battery issues.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

They keep stock of the same models for a couple years at least after production stops. Stop trying to scam the system.

6. angels lust macrumors member

Last year when the first iPod Touch was released my sister's iPod 4G failed. She sent it in under the extended warranty and they sent her another iPod 4G. So yeah, I'm sure they have a whole stock pile of Touch 1Gs they are using as refurbs like they do 4Gs and 5Gs and everything else. The only person I heard of who got a newer model was someone I worked with. His 4G died on him 3 times so the last one they gave him the newest iPod model at the time. It might have been a Photo I'm not sure.

My sister's refurbed 4G died about 2 months after they sent it to her, but she decided to get a Zune I think. I would at least sent it back to them to replace but whatever...

7. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

They keep the older gen in stock for a longgggggg time for this very reason. Now if you keep having one problem after another one, then they have been known to upgrade you as a way to say sorry. My friends Macbook Pro screen had 3 problems in less than 8 months and they upgraded him to a new, faster because of his troubles.

I hope you aren't trying to scam the system. If you are I hope they figure out what you are doing.

8. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    We should all follow Apple's lead.

9. makavelidon04 thread starter macrumors member

No, I don't try to cheat the system... Apple isn't that dumb.

Don't I lose my APP if I get a new iPod?Because my APP is registered on the iPod that I turn in?

10. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

No, the app is connected to the iTunes account that you bought it with. As long as you set up the 'new' iPod with the same iTunes account then you will be able to use the apps on it with no problem.

They have refurbs for years and years now, just a couple months ago I had to send my 5th gen 30GB iPod to Apple, and despite the fact it was well over a year and a half since they stopped making them (taking into account both the 5.5 gen and 6th gen [iPod classic] that came after it), lo and behold, I received a refurb 5th gen.

11. makavelidon04 thread starter macrumors member

Because I read that APP is only able to be used on one iPod...Since thats the iPod's serial that you regstered it with...

One last question: If I get a refurbed iPod, and its got a big scratch on the back, am I allowed to return it and say I'd like an another one since I do have warranty and it wasn't my fault that it was scratched?