Giving macbook as gift...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cfs, May 21, 2008.

1. cfs macrumors 6502a

Hi Forum,

I am going to buy a Macbook and Applecare here in the US and give it to my father in-law in Japan. My plan is to set it up for him here, therefore I will not be giving it to him in the box. If I set up the Macbook upon initial startup with my name and information, is there any way that I can change this when I give it to him?

My reasoning for setting it up with my name is that I don't want any authorities to think I ripped it off.

Thanks,
    cfs

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would set it up with his info but name the home folder with your last name if it is the same as your father's. That way it looks like it is yours. I'm not sure how else people would know it wasn't yours. More importantly, if customs is checking a computer then I'd question why they're checking it that close. It's a bit intrusive no?

3. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I've been reading over the last few weeks that when traveling from Canada to the US, Canadians should be prepared to let Customs officials see the contents of their laptop and not just prove that it's a working computer.

Apparently this is something to do with anti-terrorism?

Not sure if the same applies to air travel, or to Japan.

If it's running Leopard (which I assume it is if you're buying it new), just follow the steps in this link to change the home folder and short name:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1529431&tstart=0

Cheers.

4. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intrusive maybe, but I'm pretty sure that customs has the right, especially if something looks brand new, to take a closer look.

That being said, I'm just taking precautions.

-cfs

5. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks.