Giving my dad my old iphone 3g.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chickdigger802, Aug 17, 2010.

1. chickdigger802 macrumors regular

iphone 4 delivered tomorrow. Need some tips setting my dad up to use my old iphone 3g. A few questions:

- I know I can easily just swipe in his sim card and what not and it works fine without a data plan. But if I want to restore it and go through the activation process for a new phone, will this alert AT&T that my dad isn't on any current data plan?

- I remember this was an issue before, but is there really no way my dad can transfer over his Contacts and what not from his Samsung free phone onto the iphone?

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

1) AT&T will find out sooner or later. I canceled the data on my iPhone and AT&T found out 6 months later.

2) You could always have an AT&T or Apple store transfer the SIM contacts. Of course, that increases the chance of AT&T noticing that your dad doesn't have a data plan.

3. chickdigger802 thread starter macrumors regular

Can I use a iphone without ANY sim card basically as an ipod touch though?

4. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Yep.

5. parker455 macrumors newbie

parker455

Basically, if you are locked to AT&T then you could possibly get it unlocked (via means which i shouldn't really say) or activate using your sim, then use ultrasn0w to unlock.

Im unsure how the service provider mentioned could trace your not on a data plan?

Either way, the US has terrible providers plans.

6. iTak3n macrumors newbie

Via the IMEI number which is unique to every phone.

7. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Providing he's out of his two-year contract, he can just cancel the service and use the iPhone as an iPod touch.