Giving my jailbroken/pwned iPhone to my sister...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by yOyOYoo, Nov 2, 2008.

1. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

So I finally made the switch, after my 1 year contract at T-mobile expired, and I can now retire my 1st gen iPhone. AT&T.... I like the service so far, and I am loving my new iPhone 3G. The speed is awesome!

It is going to take me a while to get used to this ugly dull "yellowish" screen. Everyone tells me it's suppposed to be more "natural" but I am so used to the bluish screen of the 1st iPhone that this screen really looks nasty.

Anyways, what do I need to do to get my sister, who currently uses Tmobile, working on this iPhone?? It has been pwned and jailbroken with pwnage tool 2.0 and has the latest iPhone firmare.

Do I need to reset the phone? Can I just give the phone to her and have her stick her sim card into the phone and expect everything to work?

Does she have to get a data plan to use the internet?

help! thanks. She is very very excited to get this phone!

2. donlab macrumors regular

donlab

Do I need to reset the phone?

Restore it. Since you are giving it to your sister and not a complete stranger I wouldn't bother spending the time to "reset" it.

Can I just give the phone to her and have her stick her sim card into the phone and expect everything to work?

Yes. However, she will need an app from cydia to transfer her numbers from SIM to iphone's internal memory

Does she have to get a data plan to use the internet?

yes. T-zones

3. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

If your old iPhone is already using t-mobile, there is nothing you need to do. Just pop in the other sim card and you're good to go.

If not, there are wonderful guides out there. Basically, just restore the iPhone, then use WinPwn or PwnageTool and create custom firmware (use advance mode), check the unlock and activate phone, uncheck the custom boot logos, etc etc. Then your sister can use it.

She does have to get a data plan to use the internet. I'd recommend the $5.99 T-Zone internet plan. Its really good (even though its behind a proxy) and you can do almost anything except like youtube.
    If she doesn't pay then you should turn off edge. Use bosstools to do so. (A program that you can download off of Cydia)

4. yOyOYoo thread starter macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

I was already using T-mobile with this iPhone. my sister is currently using T-mobile, but with some Motorola phone.

I have a couple of apps that I purchased from the app store on the phone. I also downloaded some programs from "Installer" and "Cydia" and I have phone numbers on the phone as well.

Should I just give my sister the phone as is, have her plug it into her itunes? Will that reset and clear out the programs currently on the phone without affecting the jailbreak / pwnage??

5. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

If your sister plugs the phone into her computer, it will give her the option to, "Sync to this iTunes Library."

She will choose to do so, and rename the phone.

The data on the phone will be replaced with her data, including all legitimate apps, contact info, etc.

However, jailbroken apps, such as those that come from Cydia and Installer, live on a different partition that is not seen by iTunes, and will remain. If she does not want them, or if you do not want her to have them, delete them using Cydia (or Installer, if that is where you got them).

Also, it is definitely not true that she will need something special to transfer contact info from her sim card.

She simply needs to navigate to Settings--> Mail, Contacts, Callendars--> Import Sim Contacts.

However, using this method will only transfer over one number per contact. If she has multiple numbers stored for any contacts, it will only import the first one.

She can still manually edit the contact info though.