iPhone Giving my phone into Apple with IOS7

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by ezeekaY, Jul 14, 2013.

1. ezeekaY macrumors newbie

I have a bit of a problem. I installed IOS 7 on my iphone 5 without the whole udid thing (i used a youtube tutorial). Now my phones speakers do not work and i want to book it in with apple because it might be a phone fault.

Thing is i have ios 7 and don't want to downgrade back to 6 then give it in since i will lose my data and backups don't have backwards compatibility.

So basically what shall i do to make my ios 7 official when i give it to a genius? Do i register my udid? Make a developers account? Both? Because surely they will turn me away since im illegally on ios7

2. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

backup your phone, restore it to iOS 6, DO NOT BACKUP again.

Bring your phone to apple to have it fixed/repaired.

Upgrade repaired/exchanged phone to iOS 7.

Restore backup.

There! :D

3. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

It doesn't matter if you're registered or not, they probably won't help you unless you downgrade because they can't accurately test if the faulty speakers are due to the OS or the hardware. And if your speakers started having problems after having installed ios 7 then it's probably the OS. You should've made a local back up before you ventured into a beta, but it's too late now. You can either do a fresh restore of 7 and see if it fixes your problem, then a restore set up as new, or revert back to 6 and deal with not having a backup. If you choose to do that you can save a local copy of your ios 7 backup and wait until public release.

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

Apple will not help you if you're running iOS 7 or any beta for that matter.

5. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

My screen stopped working and I had iOS 7 installed. They could not help me until I removed iOS7. Which was no easy task since I had Find my iPhone installed, which won't let you wipe the phone with it on. Luckily, my wife pointed out how dumb I was an I was able to do a remote wipe and install 6.4
    which I had to find from a random site sine it's not on the dev portal.

6. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Not entirely true. I called the Apple Store before going in. My sleep/wake button was having problems (it only worked if you pressed really hard on the right side of the button). I explained that I was a registered developer running iOS 7, and that the issue predated the install of the beta. But it became more of an issue because I now needed to use the sleep/wake button more frequently to restart phone upon freezing. They replaced my phone under warranty.

7. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

Yes that's different because that is a somewhat common problem and is known to apple and its employees. Also, your problem predates the installation of ios 7. As for OP, his speakers stopped working after he installed ios 7, which would suggest that it's OS related and not hardware. And even if it is hardware, it's hard for the geniuses to test because I assume that their testing software does not yet support ios 7.

8. batting1000, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013

batting1000 macrumors 604

Like what they said above me, it's a common problem and Apple told me it was when I had my iPhone 5 replaced for the same issue. They didn't even bother trying out the button, they just replaced it with no questions asked.

9. LastZion macrumors 6502a

I have the "floating purple speck" again in my videos, I'm going to take it in, I am assuming it will be fine, but I will let everyone know.

10. Mischaa macrumors member

Mischaa

11. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Right, but that's not what you said. You said, "Apple will not help you if you're running iOS 7 or any beta for that matter."

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's the official policy. Does it happen that employees sometimes don't follow the policy? Sure. Can you expect that or count on it in some way? No, not really. So, officially, and more likely, that's the case. Unofficially, as is the case in almost any business, sometimes (which can range in frequency) it can happen.

13. batting1000 macrumors 604

I meant it generally speaking. The lock button not working is a common hardware issue and is known to occur whether you're running the beta or not. It's not something you can fix by reverting to iOS 6.

14. cleo1 macrumors regular

Broken lock button is the 'million dollar wound'. The policy is to replace the entire phone. I took a 5 and a 4s in this week for this problem and the genius was so eager to replace them when I told him, he literally pried the 5 from my hand, navigated to iCloud settings (iOS 7 beta 3) to see if my photos were backed up, then said "yeah, I'll just run in back and grab you a replacement". All he needed to set this process in motion was to hear the words "broken lock button". At that point they just want you in and out as fast as possible.

15. batting1000 macrumors 604

Seems like it is. A buddy of mine took his phone in and told them his lock button wasn't working right. He made it look he was pressing the lock button and they ended up replacing it immediately. :rolleyes:

16. g-7 macrumors 6502

g-7

We all are, eventually.

17. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

I went in for dust under my screen and they wouldn't even look at my phone w/ the beta installed.

Had to come back the next day with 6.1.4. :mad: