Giving new iPad as gift with data plan?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by brn2rnjk1, Mar 4, 2012.

1. brn2rnjk1 macrumors regular

My dad has the original iPad and we want to get him the new one when it comes out. Can you buy it without a plan and then switch your existing data plan to the new iPad once it has been given as a gift?

2. jsf721 macrumors 6502

Yes, Just make sure that you buy him an Ipad for the carrier he currently has the plan on. Then you can disable thte current iPad and sign up for the new device. I would cancel that last day of your biuling cycle and restart there after. Not sure if you can split months? This all assumes month to month access with is what I have on ATT. Not sure if ther are other types of DATA plan but you shold check it out.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Does you Dad have a Apple account? IF so all he has to do is sign on to restore his new iPad.

4. brn2rnjk1 thread starter macrumors regular

5. dave420 macrumors 65816

If it is an AT&T model then you should just be able to switch the old sim card to the new device. No need to cancel the old subscription.

6. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Was just going to post this. I had a problem with this when I sold my AT&T 3G iPad 1 to my boss when I upgraded to my iPad 2. We couldn't get service on either model going and then found out, it was because we forgot to swap the sims.