Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jerhen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
I currently have an iPad 3, Air 2, and Mini 2 and I plan on giving my iPad 3 to my brother as a birthday gift. He has never owned an IOS device before and I think that the smart thing to do would be to restore and he can set up his own Apple ID instead of using mine. Are these basically the steps to follow?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

I think it would be smarter for him to have his own Apple ID since he is out on his own at his own house separate from us. I just got the mini 2 and it is too crazy to have three iPads at once. I kind of want to know, what have others done with old iOS devices? Have you also given them to family members or sold them?

HDJulie

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 13, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Used to be I always passed along my old devices & when I did, I did a Reset to erase all content & settings. Now, everyone in my family is pretty current on devices so I sell them when I get new ones. I still do the erase all content option, turning off Find My I-whatever first.

Your brother should definitely get his own Apple ID. You can set up Family Sharing to share apps & wont have to deal with someone else's iMessages going to his device if he uses an existing ID.

Reactions: Peter K.

Jerhen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
Used to be I always passed along my old devices & when I did, I did a Reset to erase all content & settings. Now, everyone in my family is pretty current on devices so I sell them when I get new ones. I still do the erase all content option, turning off Find My I-whatever first.

Your brother should definitely get his own Apple ID. You can set up Family Sharing to share apps & wont have to deal with someone else's iMessages going to his device if he uses an existing ID.

Thanks for your reply. I thought about that too. Even with FaceTime calls i don't want them going through his iPad once i give it too him
[doublepost=1462483230][/doublepost]
I gave an iPad 4 to a friend. I did everything (applicable) listed in your linked page, and also removed the iTunes association (interesting that is not in that linked page above):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204074

Thanks for your reply and mentioning the iTunes part of it. I used to sync it to iTunes before I got a new computer and I deleted iTunes from that computer so I should be all good to go except for the steps on Apple's website. Thanks for mentioning that because even if I did sync it with iTunes I probably would of forgot about that.

Jerhen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
One more thing that I do - I remove the device from my supportprofile.apple.com page, too

How do you do that? I kinda want to remove it from everything, kind of like I never even had it.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Whatever you do with your device, do these things: (1) turn off Find my iPhone/iPad, and (2) do a Reset, Erase all Content and Settings. This way the device it totally disconnected from your account.

That said, I've either given my older iDevices away to friends who need one (e.g., friend who broke her iPhone 5S), or just sell it on Gazelle. The latter is very easy.
[doublepost=1462484688][/doublepost]
How do you do that? I kinda want to remove it from everything, kind of like I never even had it.

Go to this website:

https://appleid.apple.com/account/home

Log in with your Apple ID, answer a couple of security questions, then click on the Devices tab. Delete devices from there.

You'll also want to remove it from iTunes if you were backing up to a Mac or PC.

Jerhen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
Whatever you do with your device, do these things: (1) turn off Find my iPhone/iPad, and (2) do a Reset, Erase all Content and Settings. This way the device it totally disconnected from your account.

That said, I've either given my older iDevices away to friends who need one (e.g., friend who broke her iPhone 5S), or just sell it on Gazelle. The latter is very easy.

Go to this website:

Log in with your Apple ID, answer a couple of security questions, then click on the Devices tab. Delete devices from there.

You'll also want to remove it from iTunes if you were backing up to a Mac or PC.

Thanks for your reply. I haven't restored it yet, but now I know the steps I need to take once I start.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
We've got multiple iPads and iPhones in the household and each family member has their own iCloud account (contacts, bookmarks, backups, etc). Prior to iOS 7 or 8, everyone was using my iCloud account specifically for iTunes purchases and Find My iPhone service but now, with Family Sharing, we don't even need to do that.

Definitely do a factory reset.

HDJulie

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 13, 2008
Little Rock, AR

Go to this website:

You can also go to http://supportprofile.apple.com & sign in with your Apple ID. It lists all of the devices associated with your ID, information on your warranty, lets you supply a nickname for them, & lets you delete them. You can also add devices there.

Reactions: tgara
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.