Giving the iPhone as a gift???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by easy-mac, Dec 8, 2008.

1. easy-mac macrumors member

So my fiance has been wanting an iPhone for Christmas and I would really like to buy it for her. I know that the iPhone requires in-store activation, but is there a way around this? Has anyone had success getting them to put a hold on the activation? I know I could go with the iPhone gift card, but that takes away some of the effect of getting the actual iPhone. Here are some of my other ideas:
    1. Buy the phone in my name (we aren't on the same calling plan) and have her put her SIM card in it on Christmas day
    Drawback: I'm also hoping to get an iPhone in the near future to replace my Blackjack and that might complicate things.
    2. Buy the phone in her name with her parents (they are the primary account holders for her) and find a way to switch out the SIM card in her current phone without her knowing.
    Drawback: Not sure I would be able to do this quickly enough without her knowing. Does AT&T deactivate the current SIM card immediately when they activate the new iPhone SIM card?
    3. Add her to my account.
    Drawback: Lots. Her parents are willing to foot the bill until we're married next summer, so that seems like a waste for me since I'm saving for us a house, also I doubt this could happen without her knowledge and without changing her number.

Does anyone have any other clever ideas or advice? I'd really like this to be a surprise.
    Thanks!

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

You could build an iPhone out of cardboard. Print off a picture of the front and back of the iPhone and glue it to the cardboard. Then wrap it up and buy an iPhone gift card.

3. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Yeah ... if you don't intend to pay for the first month or two of service, it may just be easier to get the iPhone gift card.

4. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

Yes, you have found out that iPhone = hobble-de-gee!

5. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Buy it and use it for the next 2 weeks, then repackage it and give it to her. :D

6. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

7. easy-mac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I've been doing a little more digging. I work at a University which has an AT&T Premier agreement and my fiance is in graduate school here as well. AT&T Premier allows you to order the iPhone online and presumably activate it at home. I also got a 15% discount off my monthly bill so this is pretty awesome :) Does anyone know anything about AT&T Premier? Will this accomplish what I'm trying to do? Thanks!

8. sparkyms macrumors 65816

as far as I'm aware dude, and I don't know a lot as I don't live in your country, your service will be activated probably from the day you buy it, it's a case of turning the phone on and plugging into iTunes to get the phone working, your "service plan" however starts from date of purchase I believe.

It could be possible, though, to buy the phone on a new contract in your name, and have ATT sign over the contract to her/her parents come Christmas Day/Probably a little after. I know you can definitely do stuff like that over here, and if you can it would certainly accomplish what you're after as well.

Best bet is to probably go to an AT&T Store and talk through your options with them.

9. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Your best bet is to go talk to reps at ATT and/or an apple store.

10. seeyalater macrumors newbie

I just went thru this on Friday at the ATT Store and Apple Store trying to buy my wife an Iphone for Xmas. There is no way the would sell me an IPhone without activating it. Not only that, but they also said that Gift Cards will not work towards iPhones.

They are making it extremely difficult to buy this for someone as a gift. I ended up buying it, activating it and switching the new 3G SIM card into my wife's current phone without her knowing. This was the only way I could think of that would work.

11. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

That must have been the AT&T store because, as someone posted earlier, Apple has the iPhone Giftcard which is meant to be used towards the iPhone (but I believe it can be used towards anything in the store) and you also get a little bit of help personalizing your phone at time of purchase.

I think this would be the best bet for the OP.

12. Paintball613 macrumors member

You have to get a 2 year agreement, so she would on her parents' plan for that whole contract or they would get the hefty ETF.

13. ex8886 macrumors member

Thanks For Ruining Christmas Apple . . .

Does anyone have Steve Jobs' email address? So some of us can thank him for ruining Christmas . . . There is nothing special about receiving a gift card. It's really not even close to being the same to open up that iPhone box. And even if you decide to buy the iPhone 3G gift card, you have to make sure that the person is willing to cough up another $30 bucks per month. And by the time you've done your research, they probably already know what they're getting. So no surprise factor . . . Way to go Apple . . . =( I hope someone can put a positive spin on it!

14. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

lolwut?

15. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

There was nothing better last christmas when I just went downstairs and activiated my own phone.

16. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I think you are still going to have the problem of the phone and service being in your name.

17. ex8886 macrumors member

Sorry if it's not too clear, but I'm kinda pissed that apple makes it so difficult

Oh, I know Steve couldn't care less, but considering how nobody apparently reads the feedback that is submitted (on apples page), might as well email Steve. I am only saying that since if they really did read it, we'd have c&p by now.

18. easy-mac thread starter macrumors member

Her parents actually are willing to go along with me on this, I'll pay for the phone and they'll cover the service with their family plan. Her dad is actually happy to find out that he'll be getting an extra 15% off his monthly bill :) Since she is a graduate student at the university I work at she qualifies for AT&T Premier as well. So I would get her parents to initiate the purchase and I would pay the $299. I could simply have the phone shipped to my address. As far as ordering it online, does anyone know how long AT&T allows you to wait to activate the phone once it has been received? I seem to remember that you have 30 days to activate phones ordered online, but I may be wrong. Anyone care to clarify? Thanks!

19. The General macrumors 601

Offer to take her to the Apple store to pick up her iPhone 3G. Use the gift card.

20. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

You can buy an iPhone 3G giftcard off Apple.com

21. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I say you go with this option, its difficult, but makes it best that morning so she feels like she actually got it that minute. I don't know exactly how fast they deactivate the old SIM though, I'd ask AT&T.

22. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

As if they were listening to you....

http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._home_activation_for_iphones_sold_online.html