Giving up and going for the rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joewillmott, Apr 26, 2013.

1. joewillmott macrumors regular

I bought myself a rMBP 15" when it was released and found that with the scroll lag and the ghosting and the massive price tag I couldn't live with myself, quickly returning it for a 13" MBA. Ever since the 13" rMBP was released I have had that horrible feeling under my skin that my lack of patience has cost me badly.

I have finally decided to sell my MBA for a 13" rMBP, however I have a LOT of work on right now so cannot be without a computer for more than a day. With student discounts, my MBA with 8GB RAM & 3 years Apple Care only cost me £919, but the same model sells for £1000+ still on eBay (crazy, right?).

I am wondering if we are likely to see the price of the rMBP drop when Haswell is released? My opinion is that despite larger SSDs getting cheaper, they will stay the same size, the cMBP will be removed from the lineup and the rMBP price will drop to the cMBP price and they will introduce Haswell. If that is the case, fantastic, take my money... but that is money I would get from selling my MBA... which probably wont fetch the same amount of money once Haswell is out.

What on earth do I do!?

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

It is my opinion that what you think will happen will not. That means seeing a $300 price drop across the board. That in addition to Haswell seems a little optimistic. Since the retinas only start at 128 GB and 256 GB for the 13" and 15", many Pros would prefer to use the regular because it starts with a 500 GB HDD. Slower, but much more storage. Apple would not want to anger them if the retina started with only 128/256 GB, and the only way they could pay for 512 would be to pay $300 more.

I think it might be a little price drop of the 15", Haswell, and maybe something extra. BTW, did you personally see ghosting in your 15" rMBP?

3. joewillmott thread starter macrumors regular

I see where you're coming from. I still see a price drop happening, but maybe not quite as much. The new iMacs are £100 more than the old ones, so maybe they will follow the same pattern with the rMBP. The larger hard drive may be important, but Apple do need to phase out their old technologies if they are planning to push forward with retina, and it has been a year now!

Yes I saw ghosting, although my friend has absolutely terrible ghosting, far worse than mine as well as slight bleeding, but has still held onto his rMBP despite using it primarily for a design machine. I just couldn't do it.

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Scroll lag is fixed with 10.8.3 and Webkit. If you returned it a while ago you clearly did not try out 10.8.3 but what about Webkit?

I am also waiting on the Haswell machines, and I am expecting them by August- September. What kind of work are you doing on your MacBook Air? What I would do if it was just paper writing and YouTube would be sell the MacBook Air and get 1000+ dollars for it while you still can and buy a $249 Samsung Chromebook. That should tie you over for 5 months if you really are doing nothing serious/intensive on it.

5. joewillmott thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't try Webkit, but I know the scrolling problem has been fixed... that combined with the processor, 13" form factor and better screen is what made me wish I had waited rather than got the MBA.

Nah I have a lot of Unity game development and mobile app development work to do, otherwise I would've happily cracked on a cheap machine for a couple of months. Plus there's something about mac that makes me never want to go back (this is my first proper mac I have owned for more than 2 weeks).

6. Aspen macrumors member

Despite what is said, scroll lag has NOT been fixed. It may be improved but with 100% certainty, I can state that it is still present though it depends on the website.

7. B... macrumors 68000

B...

With webkit or just in 10.8.3?