Giving up my iPod for a Walkman

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by themoonisdown09, Jun 29, 2009.

1. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Here's a funny article from BBC that I think a lot of you will enjoy.

Read the rest of the article here.

I guess since I grew up using cassettes and records, this really surprised me. I carried my Walkman around everywhere when I was a kid. When I was in the 5th grade, I got my very own portable CD player, which replaced my Walkman.

Oh, those were the days. I guess I can't talk too much since I'm only 25.

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I remember using a CD player in High school in my Freshman and Sophmore year. I could trade in my iPod for a Walkman, no problem. I used cassettes as a kid and still know how to use them. I kinda like the way cassette player look. :p

Dont you touch my iPhone though. :p

I'm 19 btw. Yes, I used a CD player 3-4 years ago.

BTW: My mom found a recording of her and me talking into a voice recorder 16 years ago. I was 3 years old singing my ABCs and talking about the zoo. It was a great gift for my Father over Father's day weekend. :) I want to get a copy of the cassette so both my parents can have it. I have the original in my safe at home. That thing means the world to me. I'm happy it survived all these years. :)

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I remember I got my first iPod fairly young (10 years old) but my music experience up until then had been with portable CD players. My dad had an old Discman he let me borrow until I could afford my own CD player. :)

Ah, good times.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

CD generation here, I remember going through several CD players whilst at school, one lasted 3 weeks before refusing to turn on, Argos made alot of money off me :p

5. themoonisdown09 thread starter macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

When I was a kid, I used to sit at home listening to the radio and if a song came on that I liked, I would record it to a tape. I probably had no less than 50 cassette tapes sitting around with songs I recorded from the radio. When CDs became popular, I remember hating that I couldn't do this with my CD player.

I was (and still am) obsessed with music.

6. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I remember I had a walkman the size of a cassette tape case, it was small and everyone wanted it. :D

7. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

All my friends had MiniDisc players. Man, I wanted one of those so bad, then I got a DiscMan and was kind of happy.

But then in college I got myself an iPod 3G and never looked back at physical media.

8. MacVixen macrumors 6502

Somehow I don't remember Walkman's being quite that large :eek:

I carried mine everywhere - though I guess not in my pockets. I did use the belt clip thingy and it never brought down my pants. 'Course back in the 80's we weren't wearing our pants quite as low-slung and baggy as the style is now. The 80's were all about the high-waisted pants, no Walkman was going to bring them down! :p

9. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

Still use my WM-D6C in preference to an iPod.

Cheers,
    OW

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I didn't care for music for a long time. My dad gave me his tape walkman in 98, had a CD player by 99 and settled on a Sony MZ-R91 minidisc player by 2000. Got my first MP3 player in 2003 and wasn't at all pleased at the trade. iPod in 2004, haven't looked back since :).

But yea I couldn't go back now. I don't like listening to albums or compilations. I like my music on a contained shuffle set in a specific genre, year, location. Anything less than a large capacity iPod wouldn't do me. And I wouldn't do it. :mad:

11. bartelby macrumors Core

This was my first Walkman:
    [​IMG]

I still have my last one (it's been sat on the window sill for years):
    [​IMG][​IMG]

It even has a tape in it (duplicate of a Metallica bootleg from the 2nd Metallica gig I went to):
    [​IMG]
    I can't say I've missed tape based music...

12. tjhilder macrumors regular

tjhilder

I'm only 25 and I still have the Sony cassette walkman that I bought from Argos lol

13. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Wow.
    I remember the day my parents, my brother, and I went to a Sony store just to get my brother a walkman. (I would say I was about 5 at the time)

He was so excited (He is now 22, so this was a while ago). He used to carry it EVERYWHERE, and I was so jealous. But then later on, I got his old walkman when he got a CD player, so it all worked out. Man, the memories I had with a Walkman player with only one cassette. :rolleyes:

14. EX1127 macrumors 6502

EX1127

Im 19 Iv gone from the tapes, CD and then finally MP3 players to the iPod.
    I remember using tapes when i was younger, and then when i got my first computer of my own (that i built :D) i was using CDs and had a couple of CD players. Then when i was in 8th-9th grade my dad got deployed and bought himself a sandisk MP3 player i think it might have held like 256mb I got this when he got back. Then i got one of the last of the iPod Mini for my 15th birthday. I have an iPod Nano 2gb right now and waiting to upgrade to an iPhone :D... I dont think i could ever go back to anything else if i had a choice.

15. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I got the same Walkman as Bartelby - when I was a sophomore in college. :eek:

Before that, it was LPs. I remember when CDs came, I couldn't picture replacing my vinyl with those tiny discs...:p

Now I've got 3 iPods and nothing else.

16. bartelby macrumors Core

I still can't. The vinyl to CD ratio has changed over the years though. These days I think I buy 1 LP to every 2-3 CDs.

EDIT: We won't go into how long ago the TPS-L2 Walkman came out...

17. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

18. bartelby macrumors Core

I'd say the late 80s to early 90s from the design...

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I doubt the article. The observations do not sound like the words spoken, or written, by a 13 year old.

Anyway, I only had one "walkman" when I was young, and it was a Panasonic Shockwave. I quickly graduated to portable CD players before the anti-skip memory was introduced. CDs offered lots of benefits over tapes, but it also introduced a new type of hell by skipping often.

20. nutmac macrumors 68040

I have many fond memories making tapes and listening to music on the Walkman. The "metal" setting reminds me of why I liked tapes in the first place. To get the best sound, you have to experiment with various tapes (models and types). I remember going gaga over Dolby C noise reduction. And MPX filter when recording off of FM radio. And perfecting the art of making mixtapes without audible "click" between songs.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

22. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

It would've been edited by someone, it's not going to be blog style :p

23. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

This reminds me of my Mom's '94 Grand Am. It only had AM/FM and a tape player. She had Eurythmics Greatest Hits on tape, and I went through six copies of that tape by the time I was 5 (I was born in '94). I loved that album. Then we couldn't find it on tape again after the 5th tape wore out. But we got a new car the next year that had a CD player, and we got it on CD. I have to find that CD.

/End nostalgic story about toddler liking 80's synth pop

Don

24. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

So true Moon! The days of the personal mix tape were awesome. I made tons of them. They were mostly created around music style or artist. It was the only way to create custom playlists back in the day. Even though I had a CD player my friends and I preferred our mix tapes in the car for this very reason.

In fact I used to stay up late to catch the "Top 10 Songs of the Day" on the radio because it was easy to record all of the hits. Boy did you get ticked if they cut the song off early, started a ways into it, or broke into commercial. The goal was to get the cleanest recording you could get. Wow, I'm laughing thinking back on those days.

Here was my first Walkman. The good old waterproof model. It's on Ebay now for $0.99. :D

[​IMG]

25. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

I remember when I switched to a portable CD player.

Wow, now THAT was technology. The CD was so thin and shiny. It was a thing of the future, I tell ya.