Giving up on Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jayducharme, Jul 24, 2010.

1. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I've really tried to work with Safari. For a while, a year or so ago, it really was blazing fast and trouble free. But lately it has gotten so slow and bloated as to be nearly unusable. Anytime I hit a page with Flash on it, I can't scroll past the Flash box without moving my mouse around in gymnastic maneuvers. I didn't realize just how bad it had gotten until I switched back to Firefox, which now works much faster than Safari and has no trouble scrolling.

Is Apple just getting sloppy with Safari, or is there something about it that I can fix?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That doesn't sound the the performance that I get from Safari. Perhaps, if you're on Safari 5, try this.

3. jayducharme thread starter macrumors 68040

jayducharme

Thanks for the tip. I'm not up to archiving and re-installing the system, but maybe Pacifist might do the trick.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you're not up for archiving, then try this method instead :)

5. jayducharme thread starter macrumors 68040

jayducharme

Well, that sounded so simple. And yet, Apple has thrown a monkey wrench into the machinery. I trashed Safari 5 and proceeded to install Safari 4.0.5 but I was stopped by an error message telling me that Safari 4 must be installed on systems running OS X 10.6.3. I have 10.6.4.

EDIT: I got Pacifist and that allowed me to force an install of 4.0.5. But Safari is still much slower than Firefox and it also still freezes when scrolling over any embedded Flash file. I'll stick with Firefox.

6. mac2x macrumors 65816

Safari is virtually trouble-free for me. That said, I seriously recommend Click2Flash and GlimmerBlocker. ;)

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

My Safari 5 with 30 tabs open uses the same CPU % as Firefox with 4 tabs.

FYI, if you have slow Safari 5, remove all plugins. (Some plugins need updating, most are already updated but you should have a clean slate before installing plugins one at a time).

8. jason221 macrumors 6502

GlimmerBlocker sucks. Install Adblock for Safari 5 extension. Works much better.

9. kepner macrumors 6502

Except for the random crashing that it causes.

10. mac2x macrumors 65816

Hahaha! GlimmerBlocker works just fine for me. Why should I change?

11. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yeah, I need Click2Flash.

12. jayducharme thread starter macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I don't have any plug-ins installed. And I've tried Click2Flash, which is okay. But it still doesn't solve Safari's sluggishness for me.

13. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

This is very odd, and I wonder if it's an issue with Safari per se or if there's a low-level library or somesuch that has gotten corrupted. Firefox is my default browser for a bunch of reasons, but even though I'm a FF fanboi I must admit that Safari is waaaay faster. What you describe is anomalous.

I'd suggest trying the usual nostrums: repair permissions, etc., and eventually reload Snow Leopard in case something's gotten futzed.

14. Fa7mac macrumors regular

Fa7mac

I just use Safari for webpages that I read only, like Macrumors. Only text and little graphics such as pictures. For video viewing, heavy graphics or downloads just forget it, use Chrome or Firefox instead

15. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Is this why my Safari 5 has become unusable? It is constantly crashing. Due to this, I have switched to Chrome. I have Click2Flash and AdBlock installed on my Safari 5.

16. jayducharme thread starter macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I'm gathering that it is. I've found that a Mac application crashing is usually the result of a plug-in gone wrong. So I tend to avoid them as a rule. There are only three I use: Flash, Perian and Flip4Mac, none of which have caused problems in the past. It's interesting that now that I have Safari 4.0.5 installed -- which used to work flawlessly for me -- I'm still having the same issues. I've done repair permissions twice and I've also dumped Safari's cache and re-set the history, but that hasn't helped. It's good to know that others are not having issues, which tells me that there's something going on with my particular setup. I'll start by uninstalling my plug-ins and see if that helps.

EDIT: Holy Moly! I just examined my Safari plug-in library, and it's packed! I may have discovered the problem. I recently installed VLC, which added its own set of plug-ins. Those plug-ins are duplicating the functions of Perian and Flip4Mac. I wonder if the plug-ins are sort of fighting with each other. I'll have to un-install them and see what happens.

17. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

OK, I know this is long, bear with me

I may have everyone topped here...

I upgraded Safari fairly soon after it was offered. I have a few Macs, one of which is a G5 iMac - the rest are Intel-based.

Around the same time (my recollection is fuzzy, bear with me), there was also a security update and a Java update.

In any case, shortly after I upgraded Safari on my G5 iMac, my web experience started to decline. Nothing horrible at first, slow-loading pages and such. Since I don't use that iMac a whole lot any more, no big deal, I didn't do any troubleshooting.

But over a couple of weeks, things just got worse and worse. I did the usual resets/reboots and such, no improvement. Then Mail started to not be able to connect, so I suspected my WiFi connection had gone bad somehow (new interference, what have you). So I started to troubleshoot that, and yeah, it kinda does seem probable that something's amiss there, I can't reliably ping my server, and pinging my DNS servers is problematic as well.

So, I did the usual and changed channels, moved antennas around, etc. No improvement. But I do see that now my signal strength is showing real low even after I put the changes back, and it won't even connect quite frequently. So, now I start to suspect bad WiFi hardware.

Around this time, I stumbled upon some of the threads talking about Safari 5 and networking issues. Even though it didn't make sense to me, I changed my DNS settings to the OpenDNS ones to see if that would help. As I expected, it didn't help - I couldn't even ping things locally. So, that was a red herring for my situation, confirmed by the fact that I didn't have any DNS lookup issues on my other machines (Mac and Windows). But the complaints did sensitize me to the possibility that this was a software-induced situation.

Next step was to take WiFi out of the loop and connect straight to my router using a cable. Doing this showed me that the problem was actually hardware, as I didn't get a link light on the router. Ahhh... bad hardware after all, right? At this point, I'm guessing that the WiFI and and the Ethernet are married on some daughterboard or something like that, and I'll need to replace that somehow (as an aside, how useless are computers now that can't network?).

Then I remember that I have a WiFi USB dongle. I check for Mac OS X drivers, yep they exist so I go download those on another Mac and get them installed on the G5 iMac. Well, the drivers are just for the radio side and I struggle to get the radio link up and running, but I do. Then, I need to configure the new en3 port (it shows up as Ethernet, can't show up as Airport of course) to get the DHCP, DNS and such. A couple of aborted attempts later, and I can see the assigned address pop up, and I know it's made a connection.

Success, right?

Nope. I still can't connect to anything. I can't ping reliably, either locally on my network or out on the Internet. Basically, even after installing new networking hardware, I still have the same exact symptoms as before.

It's at this point when I decide that I might as well do my first Time Machine restore. I pick a date far enough back where I know Safari 5 wasn't offered, and the security update wasn't there either.

After the restore, everything works just fine. AirPort WiFi is back to being solid as a rock, and the wired part works as well, and yep, the link light works now too.

Unfortunately, I can't say that this proves Safari 5 was the culprit, but it would tend to appear that way. But what Apple could have stuck in there to make the networking decline into a state where it made hardware behave so badly as to look broken, I don't know.

Yeah, I know "Cool Story Bro" but thought it might be helpful to someone out there.

18. jayducharme thread starter macrumors 68040

jayducharme

It's frustrating that we have to go through all this troubleshooting on computers that are supposed to "just work." But I guess as Macs have gotten more popular with more software available, things are bound to get messy.

I located the VLC Safari plug-in and trashed it. I re-started Safari and it's working much faster now and scrolling, which had become painful, is glass-smooth again -- except when rolling over an embedded Flash file which brings everything to a halt. I'm still not sure what's causing that. But at least Safari is usable again. Now I'm going to try upgrading and see what happens....

EDIT: Just upgraded back to 5 and the choppy scrolling is back, along with a noticeable slowdown with page loads. Guess I'll go back to version 4 and wait for a fix, or just stick with Firefox.

19. kepner macrumors 6502

Yes.

http://safariadblock.com/