Giving Up on Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by southerndoc, May 11, 2014.

1. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I've used Apple's networking products since the first AirPort was released. The latest generation Time Capsule constantly corrupts backups (where I have to redo the backup and lose any previous backups), has frequent network connectivity issues requiring a reboot, etc.

One would think Apple would make a better product.

At any rate, I'm not here to moan about the TC. I'm here to ask for recommendations for 802.11ac routers. I've been looking at the Netgear routers and was wondering if anyone has an opinion of them.

I have a Synology NAS that I'm using as a Time Machine backup.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Check the site Small Net Builder for thorough router reviews. The ASUS AC models seem to be very popular there.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I use an Airport Extreme as my home router and never have had problems. I currently have the latest generation (the tower type) but previously also had the pancake type as well. I also have 4 TC's that generally seem to work OK.

Three of the TCs are each dedicated to one of the three iMacs that we have at home. Each are 3TB. The 4th is an older 2TB that I share for two of our MBAs.

The reason that I use a dedicated Airport Extreme instead of one of the TCs is because my broadband access point enters the house in my home office... and I do not like my TCs co-located with the computers they backup. Instead, all the TCs are located in a secured location elsewhere in the house. Everything uses Cat 5e cabling.

/Jim

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Sounds like you may have a radio problem or otherwise defective TC. Get it exchanged. We have four TCs scattered over four houses and they have been solid. Unlike the netgear my buddy was trying to use... until he switched over to a TC three months ago. He has never been happier.... with a router that is... Apple makes a pretty good product, something is not right with yours.

Is it the Synology NAS thats been corrupting backups?

5. Altemose, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014

Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

ASUS routers are well regarded by users and experts alike. That being said I honestly am led to believe that you have a failing Time Capsule. All companies have lemons, but you should have no problems getting a new one free of charge at a Genius Bar.

I run a 5th gen. Extreme as the centralized system for a network of eight AirPort Expresses with close to a 100 clients consistently. It never hiccups under 7.6.1, though 7.6.4 was a bit problematic with the modem we have.

Let us know, but you definitely have a bad TC.

EDIT: Also check to make sure you are running the latest firmware. Some early firmwares on the new tower style AirPort Extreme and AirPort Time Capsule would repeatedly drop the WAN connection.

6. southerndoc thread starter macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I just now switched to using the Synology NAS for backups. The TC was the one corrupting backups.

Maybe I do have a bad TC, but at this point, it's caused so much aggravation. I'm not sure if it's the TC or AE that's in the basement that is also messing up. I set it up to extend a WiFi network (they are both connected to each other via CAT6). Sometimes it works great, sometimes when I walk to the basement, I have to reset the AE to get access to the internet there.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

In AirPort Utility does it show the solid line between the TC and the Extreme or a dotted one? It should be solid.

It is very possible that the Extreme and TC are set to put out too much power and as a result you get what I like to call "sticky client syndrome".

8. southerndoc thread starter macrumors 65816

southerndoc

It's a solid line.

Can I adjust the power with the current airport software? Apple took away a lot of the settings with it's dumbed down version of airport utility.

9. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I've got a Time Capsule and have never had an issue. Maybe you just got one with an issue.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Many people around here use the older but more powerful AirPort Utility 5.6.1.

What firmwares are they on? I know that 7.6.4 greatly improved the roaming network integration on AirPorts out of personal experience.

11. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Never had a problem with any TC, Extreme, or Express. Time Machine backups to TC...no problem.

12. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

FWIW, I got a Time Capsule about 3 weeks ago and it has been terrific - very easy to setup and flawless operation. I use it as a server for my iTunes library, so I can access it wirelessly on my MBA without filling up the SSD. Really pleased with the way this works so far.

I wonder if your problem might be related to the Time Machine software instead of the Time Capsule hardware?

13. southerndoc thread starter macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Both have 7.7.3 installed.

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Then AirPort Utility 5.6.1 won't work. Best to hammer the Apple Feedback site to get transmit power back.

15. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

While I was waiting for a Synology DS214play I used my current generation AEBS with an external USB HDD. Every few days a corrupted backup would occur. The DS214play as a TM backup has been flawless.

16. ColdCase, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014

ColdCase macrumors 68030

Sounds like a bad or incompatible hard drive,

I've had two laptops backing up to a USB drive hanging off a AEBS for about four years now without a single issue, even though not officially supported by Apple. I recovered a bunch of accidentally erased emails on a couple occasions as well as migrated to a new laptop. Seems one needs to be picky about what drive to use with an AEBS as its not that robust.

I had nothing but issues trying to use my Synology DS212JK2 NAS (both internal or an external USB drive) as a Time Machine backup destination. I eventually switched over to CCC for backup to the NAS.

My Time Capsule, both older and current, has been flawless.

Your Mileage May Vary...

17. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Classic case of what works for some doesn't work for others and vice versa.

18. brentsg macrumors 68040

I found myself in a vacation rental last week, one that unfortunately had a broken WiFi application point.

I picked up a current gen Airport Extreme (AC). It solved most of my issues, but when streaming or doing anything that required a constant connection, I kept getting kicked off briefly. Slingbox streaming would die and require a restart, downloads would get connections reset, SSH sessions over a VPN would get me periodically booted. Of course I figured it was crappy Cox service and didn't give it much worry.

Well, now I'm back home and I've replaced my old AEBS N model with the new one. I copied my config from the old unit to the new.

Guess what, now I'm having the same issues that I had at the vacation spot. My service is usually rock solid so I'm sure it's the new unit. Firmware is updated, etc.. It's not just wireless either, my wired Mac Pro is experiencing it too.

19. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Genius Bar or exchange it.

20. robgendreau macrumors 68040

+1 on SmallNetBuilder.

Yes, many can still work with TCs and with Apple's proprietary software. But it will eventually go away, like it has for 5.6.1 users, and render useless older but still usuable equipment.

You can also see another inherent limitation in having your NAS in your router; if you are having a HDD problem you now also have a router problem, or vice versa. With separate router and NAS you can take either offline, and don't have both off at once.

Another inherent limitation is wifi. I use an AEBS, and it's relatively nice if pricey, but in some situations it is unworkable because of the lack of external antenna connections. You can have really good wifi in the box but if the signal can't get where it needs to go you're SOL. Different types of antennas can make all the difference, and in your situation might be the solution to your connectivity problems.

There really is no compelling reason to go with TCs, except that some people like their facility with TM. There are lots and lots of better routers on the market, and excellent NAS solutions as well.

21. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It does the purpose and with little issue. I am not denying your reasons, but with the new beam forming antennas, the signal goes much farther.

22. ColdCase macrumors 68030

SmallNetBuilder is useful for geeks, like most of us here. It fails to offer the big picture.... getting mired in the trees without regard to the forest. The average Joe just wants something that works reliably (don't have to reset once a day) and you are not going to easily get that data from the Geek sites as its not part of the typical test routine and therefore gets overlooked. .... just saying that whats simple for geeks is not so understandable to the average Joe... those sites are great for custom set ups and getting that last nm of performance... but it sure is nice to have choices, including products that just work.

23. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I have an Extreme handling a 100 client roaming network. For kicks, I took a top of the line, cream of the crop ASUS AC68U and hooked it where the Extreme was. Lasted exactly 14 minutes 32 seconds before crashing under the load. We use a 5th gen. Extreme but are looking at upgrading to a 6th gen.

Before I get told how it is so unacceptable to use AirPorts for a school. It was a service project, fit the budget, and has great support backing it. There is no sending parts out or waiting for repairs on APs. There also is no licenses required for the APs. For the money, the whole system has exceeded expectations by far! Now on days where there is special events we have pushed to 115 concurrent users across the eight hardwired Expresses. Never once does the bandwidth to any user drop below 7 Mbps on even the most congested AP.

Talk about capability, simplicity, reliability, and affordability.