Giving used iPad as gift

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sekarb, Apr 19, 2012.

1. sekarb macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I recently bought an iPad 2 mainly to give it as a gift to my sister living in India [I am in US now].
    So I power up the iPad the first time, select the country as US, enter my iTunes account I already use on my other iPad and installed a bunch of free apps and some paid apps, so she can have a few apps to play with right away.
    But after I give it to her, she will not be using my account on the iPad anymore.
    She will login to the store using her own Apple account that is in India.

Here's my question. Let's say she goes to the 'store' option on the iPad settings, logs me out and then logs in with her own account.
    1. Can she still use all the apps already installed on the iPad using my account [I assume if they have to updated, she may need to login to my account...but assuming she doesn't care about the updates]?
    2. If she clicks on the 'app store' icon on the iPad, which country's app store it will go to? is it the country of the apple account currently logged in OR the country selected when the iPad was first powered up?

Basically, what I am trying to achieve is this. I want to setup the iPad in US and have a bunch of apps on it when I give it to her in India. Then have her use her own account from then on.
    Feel free to let me know if you have any suggestion on the best way to go about this.

2. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Why not just give her a gift card instead of apps? Then they will be on her account.

3. sekarb thread starter macrumors newbie

RE: giving used iPad as gift

Well, it looks like I can't buy a iTunes gift card from US and then use it in Indian app store.
    May be I will do some more research to see if I can get a iTunes card locally in India after I get there..

4. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Best of luck! It would be a great solution. I personaly would like to here back if you are successful.