Giving your USER & PW for repair...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rockadile, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Rockadile macrumors regular

Dropped off my MBP for repair.
    What caught me off guard was how casually the tech wanted me to type my user & password onto their iPad.
    No notice about this when I scheduled an appointment online. Terrible practice.
    So I told them to call when repair tech need login info.

I would have wiped my HD and created an account for the tech if this was widely known.
    Otherwise private files, keychain PW, etc. are all open to the Apple employees & there not responsible for breach of data and loss.

Thoughts on this?

2. Mjcarlin907 macrumors newbie

It depends on what the issue is. How are they techs going to test and repair issues if they can't access your computer? It would be like driving your car into an auto shop and not leaving your keys. For future repairs back up your computer and wipe it before taking it in if you're worried about data.

3. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

I find setting up a guest account for the tech usually resolves this.

4. Rockadile thread starter macrumors regular

Ehhh analogy is alright but at least I can take my stuff out of the car and leave the keys for the tech. If I thought about having them give me my HD at that time than it makes the same sense.

It's not getting any prior notice about this that annoyed me.

The form on the iPad stated admin password

5. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

What is the difference between them having the info ahead of time, versus calling you when they need it? They still have it at some point, and they could get their jollies with full access all the same. The only difference is the time wasted trying to get in touch with you. By refusing to give the info when they asked you for it, you've set yourself up for more frustration and delays.

I agree that it would have been nice to be forewarned, however I also agree with Mjcarlin907, in that two things are obvious when leaving your device somewhere for repair:
    1. Back up your data ahead of time.
    2. If you have secret data on your system, be a good custodian of classified info, and erase it prior to leaving it with someone that can gain access to it.

I think a better analogy would be that you took your car to a repair shop with a duffel bag of cash on the passenger seat, and then said, "Hey, call me when you get around to fixing my engine, and need the keys to my car to make sure it runs right." This tips them off that you're concerned about what's inside, and don't trust them. They are still going to have access to your duffel bag of cash, and you won't be there to watch over them. Better to put your cash in an insured bank account on the way to the shop, and leave them the keys when they ask for them.

6. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I always create a second admin account called test whenever I take my computer to the Apple Store to be looked at. And I always make sure I perform a backup before I take it into the Apple Store.

7. Rockadile thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't want my login on their form in plain text. Since I clone my HD, I'll tell them to wipe it and login instead.
    I wasn't informed, got caught off guard, and made a flustered decision. My fault.
    BUT this could have all gone well if they simply notified people about it like they do with backing up your data so we can prepare.

Lol...better analogy if I could get the same car and bag of cash again & again for the mere price of CCC.

This.

I'll now have another admin acct for the future.

8. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

When I sent my laptop for repair (logic board issue, laptop would not turn on at all), I had to give them my password otherwise as another poster mentioned earlier, how else do you expect them to test it? I had no choice since i was unable to turn my laptop on to create a guest account, but when I got my laptop back everything was in order. Besides, their job is just to fix and test. They do not care about any of your information on your laptop.

9. Rockadile thread starter macrumors regular

Take out HD, wipe it, than test or offer to give back HD for the duration of the repair.
    Apple is not responsible to what happens to your data so people should not take any chances.
    Far better practice than what they are doing now.

10. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

My laptop is late 2013 so it's SSD and I'm not tech savvy so I wasn't going to risk damaging anything. Anyway, they fixed the issue, replaced the logic board and everything is as it's supposed to be. I was scared my laptop was going to be factory restored or something that could cause for me to lose my data, but luckily it didn't. I usually back up once a month, and when I was trying to back up the last time, that's when I discovered my laptop wasn't working. All is good now and I'm grateful for Apple for fixing my computer

11. wct097, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015

wct097 macrumors 6502

I realize it's unexpected, but it really is the norm. I always just create a new profile with a default password and delete my own profile or wipe the machine. Restore from a backup afterwards.

There have been times where the tech wanted to keep my computer where I wasn't prepared to wipe it and hand over my real password. I just made an appointment to bring it back. You don't have to leave the computer with them that moment.