GKSession: securely pair two devices

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by MrFusion, May 15, 2012.

1. MrFusion macrumors 6502a

GKSession is a nice, beginners friendly API to connect two iDevices over an ad hoc wifi connection and exchange data. As far as I can tell the link is unsecure and any devices can be connected (if the app accepts).

I want to encrypt the transmitted data and ensure the two right devices are talking to each other. With bluetooth, two people have to exchange a short key (4-5 digits) before a connecting is established (pairing). I am thinking about implementing this with GKSession, but I don't know where to start.

Any idea where I should start? Which google/xcode documentation search keys do I need? Pairing leads me to just keyboards and mouses. Encryption leads to AES(?) and keys that way, way to long to type in.

My goal is to exchange data between a few people in a room without any eavesdropping.

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought both devices in a GKSession had to accept each other?

If a third device attempted to join, wouldn't at least one of the other two have to accept the third?

(Maybe I'm mistaking this for a different connection method in game kit... I haven't tried using any of them since last summer.)

3. MrFusion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, incoming requests have to be accepted. But anyone can make a request. The device can't know who the other party is. It can ask the other party for a display name, but this is easily spoofed. The other device can be a person inside the room or a person standing outside the door. Exchange a key (like with bluetooth) should solve this, or not?

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Why do you need such security? Can you not trust users to simply commune with each other face to face and say "Did you send me a request? Oh, you didn't? I'll reject this request then..."

5. MrFusion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Isn't the paring key also used in encrypting the data?

Well anyway, even if it's not necessary, I just want to know how to do it in principle.