GL2...help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by macrumorsMaster, Jan 28, 2009.

1. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Would you buy a GL2 now?
    Is $850 a good price for one with around 70hrs on it?

Thanks.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Unless there is something specific that a GL2 offers that you need I wouldn't buy a GL2 for more than a couple hundred bucks. New.

Lethal

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

nope, I wouldn't touch a GL2 unless it was <$500... there are just too many decent options out there

4. macrumorsMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok..

Thanks for your replies...what would you recommend then for around that price?
    :D

5. surfmadison macrumors member

I have 2 GL2's

Use them all the time and they work great for me. I guess it depends on what you are doing. If you need HD, then they won't work. If you want to look more professional then having a mini cam, then a GL2 works great. I looked around for decent SD cam's and while there are newer units out there, I couldn't really beat the price of GL2's.

6. macrumorsMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Surf. I don't think I need hd. I want to create shorts and in the future no/low budget features.
    I was thinking a GL2 because I have seen them around 600-1000. The one I'm currently thinking about is local and I can check it out, rather than get from ebay...though ebay has some good deals on gl2's.......the $850 comes with a polarizing filter as well. Does this seem like a good price to you?
    Also, have you ever gotten that dreaded 'eject tape' error I read on the internet?

Or Would you go for an xl1 for about $300 more? :)

7. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

the only SD cam worth looking at IMHO is a DVX.

if you want a newer/cheaper cam, go with a Canon HV20/HV30 and then work on getting a good story together for the no/low budget features. Nobody would ever look at something shot on an HV20/30 and go "gee, this would be so much better if it was shot on a GL2..."

8. surfmadison macrumors member

HV20/30 versus GL2

The GL2 has many more options available for shooting then does the HD HV20/30. I have only shot with the hard drive based Canon's in that range, but the hard drive based would only shoot in HD. If you can shoot the HV20/30 in SD then that could be an option. HD means more storage due to file size.

I can say that the quality of the one I shot with HV10 (I think) was excellent. However, there is no manual setting for the audio inputs on those. If you are going to do an audio you will find that you need XLR inputs, and while the GL2 doesn't have them built in, there is a handy product that fits right in the hot shoe that works. I find that we need to adjust the input levels on the camera as well as the field mixer. It is also easy to switch to manual focus, set the white balance, etc. many functions that are tough or impossible to do on the HV 20/30.

9. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

The HV20/30 can shoot DV. However, HDV shoots at the same bitrate as DV. So if you edit it natively, it will be the exact same size.

the same thing will work on an HV20.

10. macrumorsMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank

you all for your advice.

What about the Panasonic DVX100,a, or b?

Also any experience with the Sony hdr-hc1?

Thanks again for your input, I really appreciate it! :cool:

11. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

yeah, i suggested a DVX...
    it is much better than a GL2. better low light, better audio, better everything.

....i feel weird quoting myself.