Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manatee

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
Maybe it's my age, but I'm just not ready to see people driving in DC rush-hour traffic video-chatting with their buds.

Yeah, I know they text. I saw a guy yesterday in traffic holding the phone with one hand, texting with the other, and steering with an elbow.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I couldn't agree with you more. While there would be some benefits I think people are distracted enough as is.

RiceRacerDX

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Other manufacturers have used front facing cameras on their phones for years. Just because we own an iPhone does not make us irresponsible. If people chose to drive while using video chat then that's just one more reason why I love natural selection.

bundu

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Video chat's already been out for years on 3G and the streets weren't full of video calling suicidal drivers believe it or not :rolleyes:

Shhh... if Apple hasn't added it to their phones yet, it doesn't exist elsewhere!

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
Other manufacturers have used front facing cameras on their phones for years. Just because we own an iPhone does not make us irresponsible. If people chose to drive while using video chat then that's just one more reason why I love natural selection.

Thats all well and dandy, until they crash into YOUR car, or run YOU over.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Maybe it's my age, but I'm just not ready to see people driving in DC rush-hour traffic video-chatting with their buds.

Yeah, I know they text. I saw a guy yesterday in traffic holding the phone with one hand, texting with the other, and steering with an elbow.

It either going to be a problem now or later.. but it will still be a problem.

RiceRacerDX

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Thats all well and dandy, until they crash into YOUR car, or run YOU over.
All I'm trying to say is that just because we have iPhones, it does not make us irresponsible or increase irresponsibly-prone behavior, especially if it's nothing-new technology.

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
AT&T would make a fortune of our restricted data plans if they allowed it. So what gives...

Because AT&T can't monetize it like they do with text/mms messaging. If AT&T could setup an avenue by which to charge you Video Chat minutes separate from your call minutes and separate from your data, believe it, there would be a plan in place.

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
The truth is:

- Video Call have been out for years and no one has ever give a </swear> about it;

- On 3G consume data and the quality of the video may not be as good as on WiFi;

- People complain of ATT bad service, if they would allow this as well on 3G [at the moment] you would just have more to complain about;

- People would complain regardless.

eezing

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008

hahahaha

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
This is an extremely silly thing to say that sounds like an excuse for why Apple didn't make it usable over 3G. However, it doesn't bother me either way.

Anyone know if there will be an indicator beside contacts who can receive video calls? Otherwise how will I know who I can video call?

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
The truth is:

- Video Call have been out for years and no one has ever give a </swear> about it;

- On 3G consume data and the quality of the video may not be as good as on WiFi;

- People complain of ATT bad service, if they would allow this as well on 3G [at the moment] you would just have more to complain about;

- People would complain regardless.

Video over 3G is engineered to be lower quality. If you JB and use 3G un-restricter you won't have any quality issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.