Glad I didn't sell my 17" with AG Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by underblu, Jun 11, 2012.

1. underblu macrumors regular

I love Apple, the new 15" MBPA is just about the coolest professional laptop on the planet. But even if I would sacrifice the additional screen size, no antiglare display is a deal breaker for me. I am not keen on non upgradable ram or HD either but I do understand when you are pushing the form envelop some function concessions have to be made.

That said my 17" MBP is the perfect fit for me the AG display is high enough res and I can replace the HD and RAM with my preferred choices. Still plenty light and thin and Sandybridge i7 provides me with more than enough performance

Still the 15" Retina is very cool.

2. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

3. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

17" AG here as well. I can look beyond everything except screen real estate. While the new MBP's resolution is 2880x1800, that still translates to 1440x900 in terms of screen real-estate. I've been using 1920x1200 for YEARS and just can't get used to anything smaller. :eek:

I'm still considering it, I'll just have to see it in person first to see if the screen makes up for having less screen real-estate. If not, I'll hold out to see if there will be a 17" version.

4. dlimes13, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  5. luked14 macrumors 6502

The lack of an AG option in the retina MBP is the deal breaker for me. I can't stand the high gloss of the unibody MBPs and the new one doesn't look any less glossy.

6. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

The new retina MBP is supposed have a less reflective screen than the current glossy MBPs. Not sure how effective it'll be in a real-world scenario though.

7. thunng8 macrumors 6502a

You can change the settings on the Retina display to show the same real estate as the 17" MBP.

8. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I don't think it'll look good at a non-native resolution.

9. Acidsplat macrumors regular

Take a look at the scaled resolution screenshots that have been posted. It actually scales just fine with the retina display.

10. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Apparently some people do want to sell. Found a Quad core, 17", 2.5ghz, 8gb RAM, 512 SSD on craigslist for (get ready)

$1000

Wow!
    Oh yeah, it comes with
    Keyboard
    Magic Mouse,
    External Drive
    Warranty

Plan on buying it.... if I can convince Mum.. :D
    For the price, I could care less if it is antiglare...

11. cmm macrumors 6502a

What do you mean? Does screen real estate = size of display?

I have a 17 AG, but hate the size. I was thinking the 15" retina would be the answer to my problems!

12. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Yeah, no more real estate..

13. children macrumors regular

OP, by the tone of your writing, i dont think you'll last long resisting the new mbp ;)

14. cmm macrumors 6502a

But you get much more resolution than the 17... ? Almost 1000x horizontal pixels more...

15. underblu thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds like it's stolen

----------

HA, yeah I'll have to see what options are available in the next refresh but my machine just suits me know. And I hate being tethered to a desk The quadcore MBPs give up nothing to desktop machines imho unless u play games which I don't.

With that said I do like new technology so a base 11" or 13" MBA may be in my future, I've been considering the iPad but I don't know if I like the pads much.

16. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I would be careful with this one.

17. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Just because the current 17" MBP isn't selling in huge numbers, has no bearing on the fact that's Apples already made it's money back on R&D, tooling costs etc. It's been in the lineup long enough that Apple still makes a good profit on each unit sold.

While the gross profit may not be as high as an iPad, its sad to see them discontinue it.

Yet that said I do understand their intrinsic need to drop any model they no longer view as magical & resolutionary :)

Never to worry, Apple will always make sure "they're cool" LOL.

18. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I've been putting off upgrading my 2009 C2D MBP 17, waiting for this refresh. I'm not pleased with today's outcome.

19. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Yeah I am contacting the seller. He sounds like an honest guy, but the lack of photos of the computer itself is worrying. Though, I will ask if he has a receipt of the purchase.. Would that be legitimate? Never really bought from CL before.

20. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

If he has a purchase receipt, that would be great. You should definitely validate the serial # before exchanging any cash. If you have an Apple Store somewhere not too far, you could try meeting there. Then you would know right away if the machine is legit or not. Obviously, you should not go meet the person alone. Take your mom, dad, or some other adult friend with you.

21. bimmerboii, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

bimmerboii macrumors member

Is there any news on a refresh for the 17" model? Or any eta on it? I still prefer 17" and wish to purchase one asap.

Edit: just read the other thread looks like the 17" has reached eol.

22. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Its a 3hr drive, so thats a given. They have a mac store down there too, in the general area. Been there before, its in a mall so there are a lot of people there. Anyways, its always good to have a friend/witness to it :)
    Will be validating serials on receipt (assuming he has one) , and against several mac stolen databases, as well as apple.
    Thanks, just wondering about buying from others :/
    hoping it is not a rip off as it is actually the exact model I wanted (even better with an SSD), and is 17 inches..

23. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Seller was a scam. It was the 3rd ad of that type in that area I have replied to, and the seller "moved" to Vancouver. Not sending my money out of country, for something sight unseen. All the emails from the 3 ads had pictures of the right laptop, but were written very much the same, and each ended with the same ending, word for word ("What do you think? Do you want my Macbook?")
    Should I do anything? Reporting, etc?

24. qijianjonathan macrumors member