Glad to be back

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by joachim.mike1, Jul 15, 2014.

1. joachim.mike1 macrumors member

After switching to a windows laptop for the last 18 months and android for the last year, I've decided to return. ha. Got myself a macbook air, looking for an iphone 5s to hold me over until the 6 comes out.

Missed this site and apple.

To be fair, I liked android, just hated the samsung side of it--didnt like how it was made, they dont seem to last very long. HATE windows...will never go back even if they want to kill me.

2. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Ya the only reason why I have my PC still is because the games I play don't play on mac. I also have a pretty good video card for it.

Personally I can't stand android. I dislike the phones they feel cheap to me. I prefer mac myself for sure. Just apple doesn't make a gaming machine.:apple:

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It's all personal preference, but I agree that android is great when you're not stuck using a Samsung device.

4. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

What are some of the things that you don't like about Windows?

5. JerZyT28 macrumors regular

I have to admit, i've ben using my windows laptop more and more to use microsoft word...i hate using it on a mac. Plus the laptop im using is actually decent, not like the 7 year old hp that caused me to go mad and buy a mbp...windows 7 is so much better than vista..I havent really tried windows 8 yet

6. UKapple macrumors regular

I have a 4 year old HP laptop, it's a reasonable spec, plenty of memory and very little software installed on it yet it seems to be slowing down the older it gets. Every single windows PC has done the same with me, why is that? Are macs any better?

7. 1981d macrumors regular

After seeing windows phone and Windows 8.0 I'm pretty sure they do.

8. joachim.mike1 thread starter macrumors member

LOL.

Agreed on samsung phones, lots of promise, but they just dont seem to hold up very well.

In terms of windows itself, I used w7/8 on my old laptop , w8 is just so d*mn frustrating to use. W7 isn't really all that bad, I just prefer the way Mac OS operates with all the shortcuts, etc.. That is more personal preference.

9. cynics macrumors G4

Yes but only marginally.

I recently went to an all Apple ecosystem and at this point in time have no desire to ever go back to Windows and/or Android. Subject to change.

10. I7guy macrumors G5

I have a 3 year installation of windows 7 that after start-up is as fast as installation.

What has slowed down is the startup; due to the propensity of many applications to create a service, which causes the service to be started delaying boot up time.

This is not a windows issues per se, but an application design issue.

Any addition, unless you use SSD, a defrag is recommended on occasion.

Also, I don't think that windows slows down as much as your expectations change.

11. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I use a PC laptop because of my job and currently use Windows 7. Hopefully the switch will be years down the line for business. Unfortunately all of the CAD/CAM software I use is only available on Window's. My wife is a graphic designer and uses a 13" MBP and having used it for basic tasks myself, I have to say you can see the quality difference between Windows and Mac. Its a lot smoother and it looks like it has been designed for the customer, rather than the developer.

I think there is a massive advantage buying a product where the OS is designed and made by the same company that produce the hardware. I would change over to Mac in a heartbeat if they provided for my software needs. :)

12. I7guy macrumors G5

Friends have a new MacBook something or other. Even though I know nothing about OS/X I get asked to help with this or that. I have a lot of time on that laptop and I can't say I like it one bit over Windows. It's not better, faster or smoother or easier to use.

I clearly do not have the impression one is "for a developer" and one is "for a customer".

13. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

Why go cold turkey, you could have used both.

14. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Windows is only good for games, i wish i didn't have to use it, W8 is the ugly os I've ever seen

15. I7guy, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014

I7guy macrumors G5

That's like saying Mac is only good for desktop publishing.

I'm not going to change your mind and didn't plan on it, but YMMV and it's all what you like.

So I guess all of the mission critical applications windows runs in fortune 500 companies, doctors offices, etc. is just for fun?

16. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

The Mac user experience has surpassed Windows in recent years so in general (right now) it's more enjoyable to use OS X on a Mac versus Microsoft's latest offering on a PC. To say one is "better" than the other, I don't really see it. They both perform fairly well.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I have left Apple several times but not in a while. I always came back to what works and works well!

18. joachim.mike1 thread starter macrumors member

Exactly how I feel

19. cynics macrumors G4

As a government contractor we buy them (PC) because we can get them cheaper and they are more modular (replace parts quickly and easily). I find that to generally be the case.

It's funny you mention doctor office because mine uses a 2013 27" iMac. Beautiful displayed Apple logo as you approach the desk. I mention that just because as an Apple guy I can't help from notice it and how nice it looks.

20. I7guy macrumors G5

Apple products always look nice and function great as well. My indications are Windows computers have a lower TCO, partly due to what you mentioned and advise my clients as such.

The reason I mention the doctor's office is mine just installed a new end to end system with wireless touch screen windows tablets. Very cool indeed.

21. 960design macrumors 68020

This is the current thinking in the industry. My local bean counters ( CPAs ) have determined the Macs are on about equal pricing, when all things are considered. We sell ( refresh ) our Macs every 2 or 3 years and recoup a large amount of money that was lost on the windows computers we used in the past. They are worth zero after 2 or 3 years ( we had trouble finding someone, just to come pick them up ). Now we only run Mac and Linux systems ( I miss our Solaris ).

The thing that pushed over the edge and go 'all mac' was the downtime. Windows computers take a lifetime to crank up, refresh, update, install, virus protect, ect. Macs just 'wake-up' and are ready to go. I've only had 1 Mac die on us in the last 3 years, it was replaced in two days ( it was a new computer that had a crazy color screen on arrival ). Had I called earlier in the morning it probably would have been replaced the very next day. We've found that Macs don't need to be modular as they don't fail.

I literally chuckle now at others in my field as they 'adopt' to Windows 8.1. Thinking to myself, while you are teaching them a 'new' OS, you should just go to Mac OS X or Ubuntu. It will make you more secure, productive and save a ton of money. But you can never tell an expert anything.

22. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Never thought I'd say it but after buying a new laptop 2 months ago with win 8 installed I have grown to like win 8!

Yes there's a few quirks to get used to but it's good for me to learn and stay ahead being in the IT industry!

Win7 is what we use at work and it's perfect and very stable whilst being friendly to the customer. It's nice now to be able to fairly confidently help troubleshoot win 8 although I'm having to sometimes boot my lappie up to try to replicate something! Lol

Boot up time in win 8 is awesome!

23. I7guy macrumors G5

Or tell something to someone who thinks they know it all.

Seriously though my business workstation, which I've had for about 3 years and is due to be replaced, is not at all like you are making windows computers out to be. And Ubuntu forget about it.

My place buys windows computers by the thousands and macs by the single digits. Every place is different with their own conclusions; there is no "current standard conclusive thinking" in the industry as TCO/ROI is all over place.

----------

I'm getting to like windows 8.1 as well, although there are a few things that still need to be streamlined.

24. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Well like me you have your own opinion. I was impressed and to me it feels a lot nicer to use and a leap forward in quality down to the finest details. It is also nice to use something different after 20 plus years of Microsoft Windows. I am considering a MacBook Air to replace my 2 year old Dell that dying on its backside.

----------

They run them because of the cost and support. 95% of the equipment in the company where I work is Windows PC powered. Our graphics department use Mac's and they rarely go wrong, but are 4 times the price.

My wife's cousin is a programmer for Dell in South Wales and I asked his advice for a laptop a couple of years ago expecting him to get me a discount. He said get a MacBook Pro. I couldn't afford it and my CAD programs are not compatible in any case. I thought it was telling he had advised this but he owns both for business and pleasure.

25. I7guy macrumors G5

Ah the old hackneyed my windows box is dying but my Mac lags 9 lives. My windows box is 6 years old. Yes I've upgraded the processor, disk and ram but it is no where near dying.

In addition a Mac costing 4 times the price does not equal 4 times the capability. Having said than computers with high end specs always cost more than a run of the mill business class windows workstation.

My computer when I built it was 2 grand.