Glandular Fever

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MST, Sep 14, 2008.

1. MST macrumors 6502

MST

I am not normally 1 for posting in this section but due to my rather unfortunate circumstances; yes I have Glandular Fever AKA the Kissing Disease, I thought I'd start a thread where I could wallow in self pity and rely on fellow MR members to offer anecdotes, advice and antidotes as I've been confined to my girlfriend's flat so as not to infect anyone else :(

P.S. I can assure you that the only person I've been kissing recently has been my girlfriend! (don't worry she's safe as she's already had it)

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Oh poor you. Hope you get well soon :)

I caught it when I was 17. It started off slowly until I had to go see a doctor (we thought it was the flu at first). He didn't diagnose it so I just went back home. After a few more days I went to a hospital and they finally found out the truth ;)
    I stayed in the hospital for 3 days and had a few infusions per day. In the end I could go back home.
    All in all, I was ill for 3 weeks, not eating and sleeping all day for 2 weeks.

3. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

You're the second MR member to post about being diagnosed within a week or two. Kinda weird!

That sucks, I hope you feel better soon. I had it when I was 6, and was in the hospital for weeks and sick for months after. No fun at all. :(

BTW, you can get it again, so don't assume your gf won't catch it. They thought I had it again in college. I didn't, but went through massive tests, which is how I found out that it's not a catch it once and you're done illness.

4. MST thread starter macrumors 6502

MST

To be fair I'm not too bad; only 1 of my glands is swollen and the worst parts are the sore throat and the sweats I've been getting during the night, but other than that I'm sleeping ok and it's just like having a severe cold. The main reason I'm off work is because I don't want to give it to anyone else, I really would much rather be at work keeping busy.

The worst part of it though is that my girlfriend and I are due to go away to Ibiza next week, we're still going unless I physically cannot make it but it's just really bad timing. To top it all off I've just undergone an assessment to join the police which I found out I passed on Wednesday, but the next stage is a medical and fitness test which has been scheduled for 1st October :( Oh well, I'll get something sorted out.

There must be something in the air...

5. nakamuramori2 macrumors regular

oh..i learned the kissing dz in microbiology class but i dont remember anything..

6. MST thread starter macrumors 6502

MST

I can honestly say that I've never known an illness quite like it; it's like a super virus that has taken all the worst parts of other viruses and merged them into 1, and it's horrible!

I went back to the doctor on Monday morning and he said it's just a case of weathering the storm and that it can take weeks, months or [in severe cases] years to clear up, anyhow he's signed me off work for a month so we'll see how I go.

It is seriously depressing though :(

7. Stardotboy macrumors regular

Hang in there. I got it when I was 20, the worst was over in about 10 days. But those 10 days were rough as hell - and there's very little you can do about it. Just make sure you keep drinking plenty of water.