Glare from retina IPS display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yjchua95, Mar 22, 2014.

1. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Good day folks,

After my 2011 15" succumbed to Radeongate, I started using my maxed-out 15" rMBP that I got last year as a gift, but didn't get to using it until my 2011 15" blew.

When working, I have my iMac facing away from the window and my rMBP angled towards the window. I can't shift it away from the window as I've limited space on my desk.

Has anyone found the glare annoying? To me, even though the display is IPS, I feel that the display still attracts glare like a solar panel and find it distracting. The retina display's really crisp and the colors pop, but I find that the glare sort of sours the experience, compared to my 2011 MBP with an antiglare screen.

I also find that the retina display's colours seem to be a little over saturated and less accurate than the antiglare screen of my 2011 MBP.

I'm not about to buy an antiglare screen protector because the ones available from my local APR (I'm currently based in Malaysia, so there's no Apple stores) all ruin the colour gamut.

Other than that, I love the retina display for its crispness.

2. Joelist macrumors member

Remember you can adjust all that in Preferences > Displays > Color.

Select Calibrate and check the option for Expert Mode. From there you can adjust a lot of stuff.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm able to adjust the position of my laptop so glare is less of an issue. Perhaps a shade for the window or an anti-glare film for the rMBP?

4. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

Almost all matte screens (and especially matte films) suffer flom a "sparkle" effect which may be more annoying than glare. Did you notice it?

5. yjchua95 thread starter macrumors 604

The sparkle effect never occurred on my 2011 15" with AG.

----------

Unfortunately, antiglare film isn't an option in where I live, where every single antiglare film sold in the APR (Apple stores don't exist in the entire country) is of the cheap variety that ruins the colour gamut.

I could use a shade for the window, if all the chaps in my workplace agree to lowering the shades and block out the city skyline view, but they shot my idea down. They also suffer from glare on their screens, but they're happy to live with it for a view of the city skyline :p

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you can't move it, can't apply a film and adjusting the brightness is not as helpful, then your options are pretty much moot. :(

Perhaps use the MBP in another room? Being a laptop you can take it into your living room maybe and keep your iMac where its at

7. yjchua95 thread starter macrumors 604

The location that I'm working in is 45 floors above ground level, and it's my office workplace (I'm doing an internship as a part-time developer) :D so I can't ask for a desk switch.

I guess I'll have to put up with the glare :)