Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vvti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
California USA
I'm seriously considering purchasing a new MacBook Pro. As a long time PowerBook / MBP user my only concern is the highly reflective glossy display.

I would like to hear from those of you who have this new model MacBook or MacBook Pro, and how you feel about the display.

Thanks

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I honestly have no problems with the glossy screen, but of course...there ARE going to be reflections...and depending on who you are, it might or might not bother you. The only time it might bother me is if I am outside like at the park or something, and the screen is facing the sun, that would be the only time it would bother me...

Otherwise, I love the screen, really vivid colors, and the brightness of the screen makes up for the reflections most of the time. Right now actually, my screen is set at about 60%, and I am experiencing NO glare...other than the ones on the bezel itself, but that doesn't bother me.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I had the 13" Unibody Macbook but returned it and got the Macbook Air. I didn't return it only because of the overly reflective screen but that was one of the reasons. Look, this is really a question that nobody here can help you with. Everyone has different needs and tolerances so that's why it's sort of pointless to get opinions. For some people the glare won't bother them and others will tell you that they are ready to sue Apple for making something that hurts their eyes.
You really need to see for yourself in person.

vvti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
California USA
I've had enough laptops to know that _it is_ a matter of personal preference, and that is exactly why I'm asking. To see how many find it acceptable vs. those that do not. An overall opinion if you will.

Also I _Have_ looked at them in the Apple store on more than one occasion, however with the lighting being what it is in the store it's really hard to tell.

Finally I'm not really picky, as I am very adaptable. Also as a long time Mac advocate / user I am more than willing to deal with the normal "characteristics" which all models have.

Keep the cards and letters coming people.... I'm eager to hear YOUR opinion......:)

Thanks

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
It's fine for me. I hate matte. It's only useful if you do color accurate graphic design (who cares, 99% use external displays) or you have a STRONG light source right behind you shining at the perfect angle.

P90Xfit

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
I sent pre unibody Macbook pro back just because of the dull matte screen. It's "life less" I did not like it and while I understand it's good for work, I would much rather have my laptop glossy and get a good 20" 24" matte display to work on.

semitry

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2008
I hated it because you have to jack up the brightness to rid yourself of the reflection and that will kill my eyes. With my new matte screen I use it at 1 level of brightness all the time and it's awesome. With the glossy I'd have to use it at like 8 to 16 levels of brightness for a readable screen that didn't annoy me.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If you do not absolutely need it now, wait and see if antiglare will be an option on the rest of the machines with the next "refresh" or buy a 17" MacBook Pro or something else if it is a right now type of critical event.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
It just depends. If you dont have a focus problem then your ok. But if for example. You cant watch a movie on a flat screen b/c theres a lamp on behind you and you see the reflection. Like i dont see reflections unless i focus on it. But i dont care what screen you have, If your sitting in the sun or whatever there is gonna be unbearable reflections. even on my matte dell it bothered me. But like the others said, nobody can help you. Go play with one in the store.

lordthistle

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2008
Italy
I consider this screen almost unusable. It's very good in low light, but the worst ever used by me in daylight.

Obviously there are reflections from bright objects, but you can (almost always) manage them.

Reflections from yourself are the worst part: if you work in a bright environment you see yourself in the screen. My desks are close to the windows (desk on the right side of the window) and I cannot use this screen in sunny days. It's the first notebook giving me this problem.

Look at the pictures in a message of mine on this page:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/646144/

The glass screen influences battery life too. You need to work at very high brightness levels almost always.

In fact, I am trying to sell this notebook due mainly to the screen (and the trackpad). But in the past two weeks I couldn't find any buyer.

thistle

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.