Glaring and oh sooo annoying safari omissions!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by applesupergeek, Jan 1, 2010.

1. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

As I may have mentioned before I 've deserted my beloved opera to go with safari for more interoperability between macs.

I love safari, it's great but there are a couple of glaring omissions that no matter how many add ons I ve got (and I am using or testing 10-20 of them) I haven't found a work around for:

1. Impossibly miniscule fonts for bookmarks. I literally need a magnifying glass for them, on my 24" imac it's impossible to sort them out with these tiny fonts, I can't fathom how bad they are going to look on the new 27" ones. PLEASE, PLEASE, tell me a way to get the fonts larger for the bookmarks, even if it means a paid app, or getting a developer to do it for me.

2. I absolutely loved the minimum zoom function in opera. Very simple, very effective and straight forward: Set zoom to 120% then all windows load at this setting, so no more constant ctrl +. How hard is this for apple to do? This is one of the few cases where I think they are just plain idiots for not including this. Their larger macs such as the 24" and 27" are impossible to read without the zoom, why should we all be ctrl + our way a few hundred times a day?

It's insane really. I know all the minimum font and default font settings, but the former just don't work as well as the zoom and are pretty pointless unless you want most websites distorted, and the latter as far as my understanding goes just don't work on most websites. The zoom function is simply irreplaceable and there's absolutely no reason why setting this value as a default % is not an option.

Again I d love an add on for that, please tell me there is one, or someone make one for me and I ll pay them.

Thanks!

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I really don't mean to sound rude but have you considered getting your eyes tested? It sounds like you are struggling with reading font sizes which should be perfectly readable on a 24" monitor (that is what I have).

3. nufanec macrumors regular

Seconded. The font sizes are not "impossible to read without the zoom" for those with properly functioning eyes. The 24 and 27 inch iMacs have a lower pixel density than the 15 inch MacBook Pros and the 13 inch (94, 109, 110, and 113 pixels per inch respectively). The 17 inch Mac has the highest pixel density of any current Apple computer at 132 PPI and even that doesn't prove a problem to anyone that has normal or corrected eyesight.

4. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

5. gerabbi macrumors regular

go to Safari preferences
    go to Appearances pane
    go to Standard font: then select the font size you would like...
    then,
    go to the Advanced pane
    go to Universal Access
    and select "Never use a font size smaller than....

this helps tremendously...

6. applesupergeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wait a sec guys, these are laptops you are talking about, I don't have much of problem reading these sitting as close as I am on a lappie, but on an imac where you sit at least 3/4 of a meter away it's another issue. The ppi is not relevant here as much as the distance from the computer is.

And let's face it, you know, the bookmarks fonts are almost half the size than even the menu bar fonts, they are almost the smallest all around on any os x interface, or close.

I know younger people frequent here but it's unfair to tell me get my eyes tested (although you were all polite) when we are talking about bookmark fonts that are smaller than the smallest paperbacks out there, and you hold a paperback a few inches from your face, not a tens of inches away from you as the mac is....

I am actually looking at them again, and hell yes they are small, I mean even the menu bar is not your typical font size to read any long text in os x, and a lot of people think it's small enough, and these bookmarks fonts are HALF the size of those on the menu bar...for whatever reason may I also ask?!?!?!?

It's just incomprehensible why apple would choose such small font and not let you change it...maybe to fit in as much bookmarks as one can, but still unless you have an eagle eye these fonts are impossible to work with. I am absolutely sure about that, that's for certain.

Are you actually speaking from experience? Are you using an imac 24" say and regularly editing bookmarks with no issues?

Anyway, let me just add that I was informed you can get a permanent zoom by setting a .css stylesheet and writing a couple of lines there to with zoom equal to whatever you chose, say 150%

Attached Files:

• sd.png
      sd.png
      File size:
      30.3 KB
      Views:
  7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Well it is not an iMac, but I have a Mac Pro with a 24" monitor and have no issues at all with the font size.

8. applesupergeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

You don't have issues with a font, that's smaller than the smallest paperback font, when we hold paperbacks close to our eyes instead of half a metre or so away, and that's also half the size of some of the smallest fonts on os x, those of the menu bar? That's very strange, but I ll take your word for it, that's all I can say.

Still I suppose you can figure out why this is an issue for other people, despite your stubbornness to even acknowledge that.

This is not a good choice by apple, and has to be addressed by an add on, or in a next version of safari.

When apple defaults the browser with double the font size and even explicitly allows for even larger fonts too in settings, even having a feature which sets fonts not smaller than a set value all around, it's an admission on their part that the bookmarks fonts are too small, otherwise, if they were normal fonts, they 'd default the menu bar, and safari fonts to the same size as the bookmark fonts. But of course they haven't, because the bookmarks fonts are better suited for some sort of pocket sized bible that you hold right under your nose.

9. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Have you tried what Gerabbi suggested?

Nevermind, doesn't seem to affect the bookmark font size.

10. sharkync macrumors regular

I have yet to find a work around for the bookmarks font size. I'm guessing it's about 8pt and I agree it is way too small on a 24" iMac. It would seem very easy to allow 1.5x's or 2x's option somewhere in preferences.

11. applesupergeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey Cylonglitch, Hey sharky, it's good someone acknowledges the problem at last.

I've emailed the developers of Glims (which for those that might not know adds some fantastic features to safari and it's free), surely if these guys can manage to hack into some of the basic features they can manage larger fonts, at least I hope so.

Here's also the default zoom function and how it works:

1. Create a file named defaultzoom.css (or any name you choose, as long as you save it with a .css file extension.)

2. Copy and paste the following:

body {
    zoom: 150%;
    }

150% is a token value, could be anything.

12. gerabbi macrumors regular

I misunderstood your original post. I see no way of changing the default font size in bookmarks in Safari.
    Does Opera allow for that? Changing zoom for fonts on a page is available, but not straitforward. I agree with your original thought Apple needs to address some important omissions in Safari.

13. applesupergeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes it does allow this setting, here's a pic for it. And you can set it much larger than that, go to opera:config and there in fonts you customize all in all about 15 or so different browser fonts. It's as straight forward as it can be really. There you can customize about 200 or so settings.

I misunderstood too, this is just for the bookmarks fonts, and of course all other fonts available, but to set the zoom function which makes fonts larger too, just go to preferences, see attached pic., and set the minimum zoom.

As much as I love safari, opera was and still is the best browser around, so much innovation goes there. No wonder that so many people in the open source community absolutely adore this closed source browser.

But now I 've gone safari, mostly for the sync options, plus it might sound silly but I prefer the colour matching with the rest of the os on the interface, opera is slightly off there, although you can customize that too.

Attached Files:

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Maybe you should not be an Apple sheep. If there's an issue seeing, why is it his/her fault and need to get glasses. Why isn't it Apples fault for not including basic functionality?

15. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

[SERMON]
    I'm with thejadedmonkey here. I was still on OS 9 a couple of years ago, so maybe this is an "old" OS X issue or maybe it's a Tiger/Leopard issue, but it seems Apple -- or at least developers -- have been skewing to smaller and smaller onscreen fonts recently. Eight point was never a usable option. Although displays have gotten better, and eight point today is a lot more readable than eight point a few years ago, it is STILL eight point.

And yes, maybe his eyes aren't all that great. Mine aren't either. Chances are *most* of Apple's customers have eyesight issues judging by the number of people around me with glasses, complaining about their contacts and the Lasik commercials on the radio. A small sacrifice in screen real estate might go a long way toward improving user experience.

[/SERMON]

mt

16. applesupergeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

Best avatar on mr, mystery tramp and the language that you use. no, make this best avatar on the web. :cool:

And I couldn't agree more on the comments of course. If there's one thing that OS X has not gotten right is offer more font customization, and of course, that long, long overdue resolution independence.