Glaring omission?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daneoni, Jul 9, 2009.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Just curious as to why Apple didn't include search in the messaging app. You could search by date, content, sender etc

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I would like it to search wikipedia and google as well

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I would like it to search wikipedia and google as well

4. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Do Google like manufacturers including a built in search in their OSes? If I type a search into Spotlight and it shows me the results on the same page what does Google get out of it? There are no ads.

5. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

6. yalag macrumors 65816

why would you need to search? just go to the person and load the chat?

7. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

tons of messages within each conversation. Thats a lot of scrolling to find that address

8. actorkid macrumors 6502

here's a workaround. It'll take a sec, but its not that bad

just copy the message in the sms message when you receive it. Clearly if someone sends you an address or a phone number or something, it's info you will use eventually.

so just copy the sms and paste it to notes. Job done.

9. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Yeah...sounds about right

10. dancavallaro macrumors regular

What are you talking about? Spotlight search has nothing to do with Google. And Google doesn't have a patent on "search" (that would be ridiculous), so there's nothing they can do about it.

Does Google like it when I search through my sock drawer to find a matching pair of socks without using Google Search?

11. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I meant a built in Google search like the Pre. I edited the word Google out while fixing spelling or something.

12. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

If you took as much care reading the post as you did belittling it, you'd see the poster was referring to google search results being displayed in the Spotlight window if that functionality was added.

The Pre, however, gives you a google link where you can type something in and then go to google with one press. None of the results show up their "universal" search, it just links you to that google search on the web.