Glass back:does it make a case pointless?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by db2431, Jun 7, 2010.

1. db2431 macrumors regular

Only had an ipod touch 1g before and had to use an invisible shield on it due to being very scratch prone but the glass front seemed to be very hard to scratch.For people who have had iphones for long periods/in alot of scenarios, is there any need for a case if the back is glass?Obviously the case would support it if dropped but for laying on tables and having in pockets is there much danger of scratching?

2. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I would still get a case.. although the combo of an invisible shield and the apple bumper case looks like a good one that won't add a lot of bulk.

3. walds11 macrumors 6502a

I have a clear-coat skin on my 3GS, back and screen. Doubt I will get it for the iPhone 4. Probably not necessary with the glass back and I can do without a screen protector.

4. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Once it comes out, I'm sure the tech blogs will put it through real-world bashing and let us know just how durable it is. But based on what I know, I'm seriously considering going naked for the first time, or a bumper at the most, because this is the first smartphone I know of that is built this rugged.

Nicely done Apple!

5. pika2000 macrumors 68040

This is actually nice. I never put a case on my phones until the iPhone. It's nice to be able to enjoy a phone with the various accessories without being encumbered by a case. Finally, ability to go commando without worry. ;)

6. Mkz macrumors regular

Mkz

The fact that it's glass and a flat back makes me want to get a case..

I just can't imagine it not being damaged when dropped on concrete.

7. Screwtape macrumors regular

8. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

Well since we're talking about 'scratches' on the back, I would think that the glass would be fairly scratch resistant, but unless the Apple logo is covered by said glass, it's going to get murdered by scratches unless covered.

My 3GS has been in an incase the entire year but the apple logo is scratche to hell.

My 1 1/2 cents

9. Branskins macrumors 65816

I think the logo is under the glass. That is my impression from the video at least because they said there is a glass panel on the front and the same one on the back. This would be awesome not to have to see a scratched up logo :p

10. ryhno45 macrumors regular

This man speaks the truth!

11. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

No case for me. Only reason my 3GS was in a case was the scratch prone plastic back. With the iPhone 4 having a glass back, I can either go nekkid or someone will come out with a clear skin I can put on. That will be all. Just something to take the brunt of setting it down, slides and the like. It will still allow it to show it's beauty! :D

12. phrint macrumors 6502

I am in agreement about no case but I have heard early reports that both the front and the back are fingerprint magnets.

13. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

Posted this in another thread, but it also applies here:

'I would love apple to bring out a bumper with a glass backing, that way I protect the sides and back, yet it won't change the design of the phone as drastically as cases do now.
    I know it sounds stupid but I like my iPhone looking like an iPhone.'

I just can't go naked, if I scratched it at all it would annoy the hell out of me.

14. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I'll be getting cases for mine regardless of whatever the scratch-resistance properties of the glass may be. Otherwise, I'd spend a lot of time worrying that I'd find a way to scratch the unscratchable.

15. tek210 macrumors regular

tek210

I think I need to see it in some drop tests before I go with no case. $600 replacement would really suck. Will have to see if the alloy frame and new glass can handle some bumps. I like the Switcheasy cases. Curious to see what they come out with for the 4.

16. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

I've had the 3gs for 6 months and used an invisible shield for the back the entire time. The front glass has fared really well with no protection. The exposed metal not so much. Can't wait to get an in person look at iPhone 4, but the part that would concern me the most would be the steel/alloy getting scratched up.

17. sjn419 macrumors 6502

Bumper and front and back invisable shield seems like would offer enough protection

18. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I'm going to get a front and back screen protector from Bestskinsever at the very least - but not sure if I want to get a case.

I have a SwitchEasy Colors on mine now along with the screen protectors (double protection).

19. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I have a 3G that has never been in a case. Johnny Ive spent too much blood and sweat perfecting the iPhone to the minute detail for me to cover it up.

Surprise: 2 years later and the glass is still flawless. The back has some fine wear but it's not noticeable because I have a white iPhone.

EDIT: I should mention that my iPhone has fallen on sidewalks, on the road, on tile and luckily it never cracked, but more incredibly there are no scratches as a result.

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The iPhone 3GS makes a case useless. I dropped mine a few times and you don't even see any bumps.

The new iPhone probably makes it even durable.

21. apple.fiend macrumors member

I doubt I will get a case. Bought one for my 3GS and rarely use it. Its more of a day 1 thing where you dont want to touch the thing. But my problem with the iPhone 4 will be the glass backing which will be fingerprint warzone. W/e. Its a phone meant to be used.

22. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHngLJ0RlNg

watch near the end where they talk about the front and back glass and how its designed to be like sapphire so it won't scratch. no need for a case it just makes you look like a dork.

23. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Glass scratches. It can have whatever new fangled coating they want on it - IT WILL SCRATCH. Even the "scratch resistant" 3GS got scratches. Anything will scratch glass if it's hard enough.