Glass back theory

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apple.pseudofan, Jun 29, 2010.

1. apple.pseudofan macrumors regular

I just had a though on the glass back after reading all the posts of broken glass on the back.

Previous generations saw large numbers of returns in the warranty period for defective internal/electronic hardware components. After the return, apple started noticing that a lot of the problems were a result of blunt force trauma. There was no real similar detector for impact like there was for water damage. So apple designed it so that if you drop your phone with sufficient force to potentially damage the electronics, it would be evident to a Genius in the form of a cracked or shattered glass panel.

Just a theory. I like the glass. I don't think there is evidence yet to show that more backs are breaking now than screens did before, but more backs are breaking now than backs did before, that is for sure.

2. detroit1 macrumors regular

If there really are small hairline cracks in the back that you can only see with a laser pointer then maybe they are all ready to break as soon as they are dropped..

3. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

This is the TRUE STORY of how the iphone came to be. Back 18 months back, one employee LOVED ice cream bars. and this was the time when he had to submit the design to steve. He accidently sent steve THE WRONG PICTURE. instead of the iphone design he was working, he sent him a picture of an ICE CREAM Sandwich.

Steve Loved the idea. It reminds people of ice cream and that feeling of hunger. THE HUNGER FOR APPLE PRODUCTS.

He then took it to the next level and said "this will be the greatest ice cream sandwich ever....we have to up the quality (without paying much of course)

and that's how it came to be.

true story. CONFIRMED!

4. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

Sources or it didn't happen. ;-)

5. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

He said "CONFIRMED" so it must be true ;)

6. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

The plastic on the 3G and 3GS cracked pretty easily.

7. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Haha you beat me to it

8. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

The back of my white 3G S was covered in cracks and scratches after a few months.

I'm gonna keep my iPhone 4 in a case and not even test how tough the glass is...

9. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

To: other phones

if you don't have glass on the back. You blew it.

-Steve Jobs

Sent from Iphone